Author Topic: First Cert and it's wrong  (Read 5145 times)

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
  • And he's still just as cute!
    • View Profile
First Cert and it's wrong
« on: Thursday 07 January 10 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I hope I have located the write forum for this problem.
I requested my first certificate from GRO and it was wrong. What I want to know is have I done something wrong or is the a slip up on there part. Some advice please.

Request Details:
Marriage Certificate.

Grooms Name: John Fletcher
Brides Name: Nellie Fletcher
District: Grimsby
Year: 1905
Qtr: J
Vol: 07a
Page: 1655

This is what I got:

Grooms Name: Joseph McGarrigle
Brides Name: Blanch Francis Hunt
Married: June 24 1905
Columns No. 31
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
FLETCHER – Louth (District), Lincolnshire
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: First Cert and it's wrong
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 January 10 01:57 GMT (UK) »
the error you have made is stating the brides name is Nellie Fletcher - when it is Nellie Johnson

They have sent you the certificate of the other 2 people on the same page

I would phone them and explain what they have done -it seems to me it is their error - probably whhat they should have done is state no match -as you had the incorrect brides name -but I shouldn't mention that

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 January 10 01:57 GMT (UK) »
The office isn't supposed to send out certificates with incorrect names

You need to go back to the website, locate "contact us"  Quote the reference number of their covering letter and inform them that they've made an error and they must have mixed up the orders.  Please forward the certificate requested of

Grooms Name: John Fletcher
Brides Name: Nellie Fletcher
District: Grimsby
Year: 1905
Qtr: J

But before you do that go back to double check that you've correctly copied the volume/page numbers 07a/1655
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline bishenbertie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 January 10 01:58 GMT (UK) »
Their fault and Nellies maiden name is Johnson.  Take a copy of the cert and send the original back with a copy of your order with a covering letter.
Westbrook - London, Oxford
Squibb, Brooks - London
Kingcombe, Parsons, Penny, Crocker, Brooks - Devon

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 January 10 01:59 GMT (UK) »
oops looks like my post crossed with yours.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 January 10 02:05 GMT (UK) »
the error you have made is stating the brides name is Nellie Fletcher - when it is Nellie Johnson

They have sent you the certificate of the other 2 people on the same page

I would phone them and explain what they have done -it seems to me it is their error - probably whhat they should have done is state no match -as you had the incorrect brides name -but I shouldn't mention that

Suz

Woops! that was a typo in my posting I did indeed use the name 'Johnson' in the application. I'm in australia I might email them. Time difference can be a problem for me.
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 January 10 02:27 GMT (UK) »
the error is most certainly theirs

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 January 10 02:56 GMT (UK) »
the error is most certainly theirs

Suz

Thanks everyone for reassuring me. When you start out you need to check to make sure nothing had been missed. I am correct is saying that if you make an error GRO will advise and a search fee may be added?
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 January 10 03:01 GMT (UK) »
You haven't made an error.  Having said that,  you need to check on each particular website but usually the first 15 minutes is free.