Author Topic: First Cert and it's wrong  (Read 5144 times)

Offline Kaybron

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: First Cert and it's wrong
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 January 10 03:37 GMT (UK) »
I am from Australia and have ordered a number of certificates from GRO.  One order I sent through I put a wrong date of marriage but all other details were correct, including the Volume Number and Page Number.  The GRO did not send a certificate and gave me a part refund.  I recently made enquiries about a certificate ordered early December and still had not been received early January. GRO replied stating sorry that certificate had not been received they would send another one straight away.   Only problem I have had is ordering a certificate a second time by mistake.  Contacted to find out if I could change order but was not able to.  The moment you place an order there is no way that you can change this so you have to be extra careful that all the details you supply are correct.
Regard Kaybron (fellow Aussie)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 January 10 03:54 GMT (UK) »
With my dealings with GRO, I have found them to be most helpful when there has been a problem.  I had a similar problem as this topic, where I was sent the incorrect certificate. I emailed them explaining the situation, received an apology, and soon after the correct certificate arrived in the mail.

On another occasion, the certificate was so faint, it could hardly be read. Sent an email explaining how bad the quality was. I was informed that was the best they do from the original, however, they actually transcribed the details from the original itself as it was easier to read than the copy.

So for me 2 problems which were both fixed up as a result of a "polite" email explaining the situation. Though I suppose it may also depend on who reads your email?

Les

de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
  • And he's still just as cute!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 January 10 05:16 GMT (UK) »
That info is greatly appreciated at least it lets me know that GRO do make mistakes and are good at correcting them
Mistakes we all make just look at the error I made in this post that sent people off the wrong way.
Now to wrap this up I have a question. Someone has told me that it is better to deal with the regional offices. The reason be 1. Quicker and 2. they let you stipulate a condition eg. only if the father is so and so' what experience has Rootchatters have with this?
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
FLETCHER – Louth (District), Lincolnshire
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 January 10 11:40 GMT (UK) »
If you order from the local register office you could get a photocopy of the original certificate with the original handwriting, the GRO have no access to the original certificate, they only have the copy sent in the quarterly returns. Be aware that the GRO reference has no meaning to the local office. Not all offices have the facilities to produce copies from the original and some offices need to know which church the marriage was in. If you go to the web site of the relevant office it should give details.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 07 January 10 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
  • And he's still just as cute!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 07 January 10 12:27 GMT (UK) »
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
FLETCHER – Louth (District), Lincolnshire
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 07 January 10 14:09 GMT (UK) »
If you are ordering from abroad,you may find that not all local offices have facilities to use credit or debit cards though.Please check before getting too excited ! Haha...

The GRO will accept them of course and you can still specify a reference checking point when ordering through them.Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk