Author Topic: Mrs Williams first marriage  (Read 2413 times)

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mrs Williams first marriage
« on: Thursday 07 January 10 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me locate the  first marriage of Mrs Williams who married John Austin c1917, for both of them it was their second marriage.  I believe her name might have been Catherine.  What I would like to know is Mrs Williams maiden name and christian name and when she married her first husband?
John Austin was first married to Sarah Samuel, Sarah died Mar q 1916 Bedwelty district.
regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Mrs Williams first marriage
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 January 10 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked freebmd for the second marriage? Freebmd is the first reference for this type of query and transcriptions for the periods you are looking for are 99% complete so you should not have any difficulty

If Williams was her first married name - you will have to buy a copy of the second marriage cert to find her fathers name which will then give you her original maiden name

That info will enable you to trace her first marriage  - again using freebmd

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com

If you are unable to find a marriage and know they had children - then a copy of one of their childrens births certs will give you the info re: christian/maiden name

If you obtained the Williams maiden name from one of their childrens birth certs then you may find that Williams was her original birth surname and not her first married name

When somebody re-married and there were children from that marriage - mothers maiden name on the birth cert would be just that - her original one
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 January 10 18:41 GMT (UK) »
It looks like John may have been James Austin, he married Catherine Williams April-June qtr 1917  registered Bedwellty.

Irene Austin birth registered around the time of the marriage.

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 January 10 22:35 GMT (UK) »
It looks like John may have been James Austin, he married Catherine Williams April-June qtr 1917  registered Bedwellty.
I found him in 1911 aged 48 with Sarah as James not John.

Two Catherine Austin deaths registered one in 1930 age 83 giving a birth date of about 1847
the other registered in 1940 age 88 giving a birth date about 1857, I think this is your Catherine as James was born 1863.

In 1911 there are two Catherine Williams who are already widows, one with a really big family of sons and daughters to look after her, and one living with just her 14 year old daughter also named Catherine, both are said to be born Tredegar and are living in Queen Victoria Street.

1901 Catherine is in Queen St, Tredegar with husband William Williams age 45 born Llanwon?  Cardigan with Maggie 23, David 21, Mary 15, Katie (Catherine) 5.

I think James died as John in 1920 age 59?