Author Topic: Wiltshire parish records look up  (Read 4241 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Wiltshire parish records look up
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 January 10 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi

They don't normally have the fathers name listed this early.  If you look at the link I gave you and select Somerset searching Sarah Stockham you will see the full transcript of the record - no fathers name given.

How do you know Sarahs father is Benjamin ?

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline patently

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 January 10 19:28 GMT (UK) »
As I said in the detailed earlier posting above, Sarah married a James Gough in 1840.  Her father's name is listed as Benjamin Stock(holm) - which should read Stockham.  This marriage takes place in Seagry, Wiltshire.

The 1841 census records a Benjamin Stockham living in this area of Wiltshire.   

I guess I will have to access the full parish records to see if I can find the elusive Frederick.

Thanks for your efforts anyway.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 08:55 GMT (UK) »
As I said in the detailed earlier posting above, Sarah married a James Gough in 1840.  Her father's name is listed as Benjamin Stock(holm) - which should read Stockham.  This marriage takes place in Seagry, Wiltshire.

Sorry, I didn't realise you had the marriage certificate and I couldn't see the marriage on freebmd but have now found it James surname being given as GAUPH.

Rosie

Offline patently

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 10:36 GMT (UK) »
They certainly played footloose and fancy free with the spelling of names.  It's given me some major headaches.  Love the picture of the dog by the way - is it a Cocker spaniel?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 16:57 GMT (UK) »
I can't work out whether Ann Gough in 1851 is actually Sarah Gough though I see she is still Ann in later census.  Can't seem to find Frederick either, sorry

Love the picture of the dog by the way - is it a Cocker spaniel?
Thank you - Yes he's an English Cocker Spaniel, Show type as opposed to Working type (not quite as much energy  ::) ) He is just 8 months.

Rosie

Offline patently

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 20:37 GMT (UK) »
I think that Ann is definitely a different person to Sarah.  She appears in all the census records from 1851 up until 1881 with James and BMD shows death records for both James and Ann Gough.  I do have a death certificate for a Sarah Gough aged 27 in 1843 at Folly Gate, Wootton Bassett put it has no information that I can confirm it being the right Sarah Gough.  Her occupation is given as toll keeper.  In the 186 census James and Ann Gough are living at Braydon Lane Gate (Parish Tockenham) which appears on the census record next to a house called Folly Gate.  Wondered if it was the same Folly Gat.e

Do you have the address details for James and Ann Gough from the 1851 census?

Offline Laura Curtis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 21 February 22 15:32 GMT (UK) »
I realise that these posts are over a decade old, but I wondered if the posters are still active on this site. I'm descended from Job Curtis via his eldest son, Aaron, and would be very interested in finding out whether there is any more information about his mother Sarah. Please respond if you're interested in sharing information! Thank you