Author Topic: *** COMPLETED *** Charles Craig 1866-1933 - OBITUARY FOUND  (Read 4458 times)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
*** COMPLETED *** Charles Craig 1866-1933 - OBITUARY FOUND
« on: Thursday 07 January 10 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

My wife's Great Grandad was CHARLES CRAIG born 27 Oct 1866 in 172 Seagate, Dundee, Forfarshire, and died 23 Sep 1933 on the Dundee & Arbroath Joint Railway line at East Haven Station, Panbride, Angus (Forfarshire was renamed Angus in 1928).  He married ISABELLA PATRICK on 24 Jul 1891 in Kinnaird, Perthshire

Thr Precognition resulting from Great Grandad Charles's death confirms that he was hit by the Aberdeen to Edinburgh Express when walking back to Dundee after a football match - along the railway line as was his usual :o - to his home at 13 West Dock Street, Dundee, Angus.

There's family talk of him having a BIG funeral though nobody seems to know more than that.

I'm hoping someone can help with more information :)

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Craig 1866-1933
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 January 10 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I'm not sure I can be of much help, but I never like to see unanswered questions!  As far as I'm aware, there is no way to access the information online and I'm not sure where you're located.  Anyway, you might be best to look into the Dundee Central Library, as I believe they may hold appropriate newspapers ie. The (Dundee) Courier or Evening Telegraph.

Hopefully someone else will come along soon with more enlightening information!

Happy Hunting!

Lass x

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 January 10 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lass

Thanks for the response.  I'm just across the Tay, in Fife, so getting to the Library in Dundee doesn't pose too much of a problem.

I posted in the hope that someone had something, tucked away somewhere that might help.

There's usually a RootsChatter or two (or more) who'll come up trumps!  :)

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 January 10 19:34 GMT (UK) »
I thought I'd bring this thread back to the top of the pile with news that I've traced an Obituary, published in a local paper, that my mother-in-law had in the house all the time - in Charles's tobacco tin COMPLETE WITH A PIECE OF HIS BOGEY ROLL   :)

"Tragic - Found Dead on Railway - Dundee War Veteran's Tragic Death - Long Connection With Junior Football
The news of Charles Craig's tragic death on the railway line has come as a great blow to Dundee junior football circles, in which he was a prominent official.
Mr Craig had attended the Scottish junior cup-tie, between Dundee Violet and Arbroath Victoria at Arbroath on Saturday.  Shortly after nine o'clock he was seen on the Arbroath station platform.  He got off the Dundee train at Easthaven where it is understood he complained of not feeling well.
The train left without him, and it is believed that he had set out to walk along the line to Carnoustie where he would have a better chance of getting another train.
He had not proceeded far when he was knocked down by a train and his mutilated body was found lying on the line.  His jacket was picked up near Carnoustie.
The body was so badly mutilated  that the only means of identification was by a war-time identity disc, which deceased had in his possession at the time.
Mr Craig, who resided at 13 West Dock Street, had had along connection with junior football.  For 22 years he had been associated with the Violet  club, and prior to that he played for Dundee Wanderers, and later was trainer for the club.
War Service
Mr Craig served in the Black Watch from 1883 till 1918.  He fought through the Sudan campaign, saw the battles of El Teb and Tammaai, and gained the Egyptian medal and star, and all this while he was still  a recruit of not more that 17 years of age.  He had overstated his age on enlistment.
In 1900 he rejoined the forces to take part in the South African war.  He remained in the Volunteers until 1914.  At the age of 48 Mr Craig offered his services on the outbreak of the Great War, and in 1915 he was drafted to France.  He was personal servant to Colonel Harry Walker.
Wounded in Cavinchy
He was slightly wounded at Cavinchy and was with the battalion at Loos, which he described as a ghastly affair.  It is a pathetic coincidence that Mr Craig should have met his end on the eve of the anniversary of Loos, when so many of the officers with whom he was brought in contact lost their lives.
At Rousbrugge a new battery came alongside the Black Watch and Mr Craig found that two of his sons were members of it.  Other two sons also took part in the war.  Shortly afterwards he was sent home, having been pronounced too old for the rigours of active service.
Mr Craig was 68 years of age, and is survived by his widow and family."

Regards

Chiad Fhear

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: *** COMPLETED *** Charles Craig 1866-1933 - OBITUARY FOUND
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 January 10 19:59 GMT (UK) »
A bit descriptive on his death, but what was a fantastic find for you CF after all this time of looking  :)

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: *** COMPLETED *** Charles Craig 1866-1933 - OBITUARY FOUND
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 January 10 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Bare knuckle reporting with no holds barred would seem to have been the order of the day!

I love it when little gems like that appear.

Regards

Chiad Fhear