Author Topic: DWYER of Mia Mia (Vic)  (Read 12656 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DWYER of Mia Mia (Vic)
« Reply #18 on: Friday 21 March 14 06:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi ChristineR ;D

Nice to see you on the board  ;D

Judith and Mia Mia girl....I wonder if you have looked at all the DWYER mentions in the
McIvor Times and Rodney Advertiser [Heathcote] 1863-1918 which has been digitised.  I don't think it was online when I attempted to help you previously.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ykj/

Cheers :)
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 21 March 14 06:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello there Christine.  Nice to catch up with you again.  :)

Thanks, Cando - I hope I've managed to catch up with all of those newspaper reports.  Having the Rodney and McIvor Times online has been great.  I think I've got almost all that I need about the Dwyers now.  They weren't very noteworthy except for the Racing Club!

Cheers, Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline phena

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 27 September 14 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hi, Just came across this site. I am Ellen Dwyer (Linklater)
 youngest grandaughter. Honora called Kit never married. She was the post mistress at Mia Mia until her death in 1946 just before I was born. I have the family bible with all the births deaths etc originally entered by Kit.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 28 September 14 06:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Ellen

So nice to 'meet' you!

You need to make 3 posts before we can use the Private Message system on Rootschat, so 2 more should do it.

You have probably figured out that my father, Thomas James DWYER, was Kit's nephew.  My father's parents Richard Charles and Winifred (nee Ferguson) DWYER moved to Melbourne in the late 1920s so that there was not as much contact with the Mia Mia families.

I would love to have a photocopy of the handwriting in the bible that you have. I note that Probate for Kit's estate was granted to Mary Margaret LINKLATER so I guess that was your mother?

I live in Canberra now and I should do a proper road trip in Victoria - just never seems the right time!  The three children of Richard Charles DWYER have died now and they seem to have had little contact with any other DWYERs although they did with the Fergusons (RCD's wife's family)

I have Kit's death as 1945 - about a month before I was born.

Would love to hear from you.  Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 28 September 14 08:40 BST (UK) »
Welcome Phena,

As I think Judb is aware of I live in Lancefield and I work up the Burke and Wills track on the way to Mia Mia.

I have been following this thread because I am interested in local history as well as family history. As far as I can tell there isn't much left at Mia Mia, but if you need someone on the ground locally to do anything like take photos or troll through local records, please let me know.

Luv Ted
Gadsby's, Farmers, Neals - Leicestershire
Freemans, Littles, Corbetts, Branns - Australia

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline phena

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 28 September 14 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith,
I live in Queanbeyan so we could meet for coffee and I could bring the bible. Mia Mia is having a book published at the end of this year. I gave them copies of some photos including your grandfather.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 29 September 14 08:20 BST (UK) »
Oh wow, Phena, that would be wonderful.  Would love to see the Bible.  Will PM you.

Hi there Tedscout, thanks for your kind offer. I'll let you know if there is anything I need  :)

I'm sure you would have seen this reference to Burke and Wills at Mia Mia

Description of Burke and Wills staying at Mia Mia Inn, including a description of where to find the remains of the Inn today

http://burkeandwills.slv.vic.gov.au/gpx/ga2504

Cheers, Judith

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 08:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith,

Thank you for the link. The winery with The Dig Tree range of wines is owned by friends of ours. In fact My husband used to work for them, and we often go and have a taste or two on a Sunday.

Cheers, Ted
Gadsby's, Farmers, Neals - Leicestershire
Freemans, Littles, Corbetts, Branns - Australia

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ChristineR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 21 March 15 06:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone in this thread.
I picked up the new Mia Mia history book at my local library yesterday. It is an excellent publication. Congratulations to all those in the Mia Mia community who took part in compiling all that precious information.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk