Author Topic: DWYER of Mia Mia (Vic)  (Read 12651 times)

Offline Peonyau

• RootsChat Extra
  • Adelaide Solomon?
    • View Profile
Re: DWYER of Mia Mia (Vic)
« Reply #27 on: Monday 26 November 18 13:52 GMT (UK) »

I spent ages working on the line of Michael Joseph, only to discover he wasn't who I thought he was, but luckily he turned out to be related, being the son of William Dwyer - I brought William's death certificate last week, to confirm that he was the one to marry Mary Navin.  I was so relieved that he was, else I had just wasted nearly three weeks of work on the wrong line.  That William, my husband's Patrick, and your Thomas are all brothers, sons of Michael Dwyer and Ellen McCarthy (who lived to 101).  Patrick and William were born in Tipperary, Thomas in Melbourne. The usual girls as well, Ellen, Mary, Bridget, Honorah, and another son Michael McCarthy Dwyer who I haven't followed up yet.
Hi, This is an earlier post but a name caught my attention. Mary Navin, and the area is similiar to where my ancestor Honorah Navin lived.  She arrived on the Eliza Caroline, as an Irish famine orphan in 1850. She married Christopher Montgomerie who was a timber miller and worked in the Kyneton, Bendigo area. Just wondering if Mary Navin and Honorah Navin were related?
Leonard, Lenard, Montgomerie, Bickford, Ireland,
Purtell, Gee Sing, Solomon.

Offline Melink

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 05:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Thomas Dwyer who was born in Australia was my Father's grandfather. My grandmother Ellen was his eldest daughter. They lived with Thomas as Ellen was a widow with 6 children. My Father remembered his great grandmother and her dying at 101. My uncle owned the family farm until his death in 1970s. The farmhouse still stands.

Offline ChristineR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 19:44 GMT (UK) »
... I brought William's death certificate last week, to confirm that he was the one to marry Mary Navin...
Hi, This is an earlier post but a name caught my attention. Mary Navin, and the area is similiar to where my ancestor Honorah Navin lived.  She arrived on the Eliza Caroline, as an Irish famine orphan in 1850. She married Christopher Montgomerie who was a timber miller and worked in the Kyneton, Bendigo area. Just wondering if Mary Navin and Honorah Navin were related?
It feels like 100 years since I've been in this part of my husband's tree! I didn't do any research on the Navin line, nor did I transcribe the marriage into my online tree, so the details aren't handy. In 1860, she was married as Mary Nevins to William Dwyer and, on her death, her parents were named as Michael Navin and Margaret Connors. Mary was born about 1839 in Tipperary. Sorry I can't be more help.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ChristineR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Thomas Dwyer who was born in Australia was my Father's grandfather. My grandmother Ellen was his eldest daughter. They lived with Thomas as Ellen was a widow with 6 children. My Father remembered his great grandmother and her dying at 101. My uncle owned the family farm until his death in 1970s. The farmhouse still stands.
I never did find out anything about that Thomas Dwyer, the name was just too common and I'd already spent too much on certificates. I haven't been in this part of my husband's tree for an age. Is this the one born about 1868 to William Dwyer and Mary Navin? All I have is that he died before 1906, since he was marked as dead on his father's death certificate. I'd love to know who he married and when he died. It's beaut that the family farmhouse still stands.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Peonyau

• RootsChat Extra
  • Adelaide Solomon?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 29 November 18 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Christine, It was worth a try.
Leonard, Lenard, Montgomerie, Bickford, Ireland,
Purtell, Gee Sing, Solomon.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 30 November 18 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello melink and welcome to R'chat.

You and I are distant cousins.  And I'm just trying to figure it out - and hope I've got this right

I have Michael (1802-1884) and Ellen (1804-1905) DWYER who were your father's great-grandparents.

Their son Thomas DWYER (1849-1916) is your father's grandfather.  This Thomas was married twice, firstly to Margaret MADDEN then to Mary MAHER.

So is it Ellen LINKLATER who is your father's mother (your grandmother)?

I am descended from the second marriage of Thomas - through his son Richard Charles DWYER who was my father's father - ie my grandfather - my father was Thomas James DWYER which is the same name as his uncle.  Too many Thomases!!

Cheers, Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Melink

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 01 December 18 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Judith is correct. Her father and my father were first cousins, but my father as the eldest grandchild was close in age to his younger uncles. Thomas Dwyer was the youngest of the immigrant family and was born in Australia aboit 1842. Hr died in Mia Mia in 1916. The book "Mia Mia the Pace and its People" is a good source for some of the family history.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 02 December 18 06:59 GMT (UK) »
That Mia Mia book certainly has some interesting family history.  I went to the launch of it a couple of years ago and was lucky enough to be able to go into the old house.  My grandfather  (Richard Charles DWYER) lived in Heathcote after his marriage to Winifred Victoria FERGUSON whose father and grandfather owned a store in Heathcote.  They moved to Melbourne in the 1930s though.

I have read in the book the story that Michael DWYER had actually visited Tasmania with his sister before he married Ellen and emigrated to Victoria.  I have never been able to find any records for this earlier trip. 
Here's the R'chat thread I started re this:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=707517.msg5506289#msg5506289

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk