Author Topic: 1901 Census  (Read 6240 times)

Offline sylv66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1901 Census
« on: Friday 08 January 10 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Is ther a reason why a child would not be on this census? it was born 1899... and yes it was alive ... were orphanages exempt? not that I know if it was in one ..just can not get it..

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 CENSUS
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 January 10 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sylv

There is no reason for any one to be exempt from the census. Why don't you post some details on the child you are trying to look for in 1901 and see whether anyone can find him or her. It may be that the surname has been mis-transcribed or the child may show under another surname in error perhaps.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sylv66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Census
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 January 10 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou .... the childs name is   Arthur Emslie Ledingham , born 1st october 1899 at Strathweltie cottage Coull Aberdeenshire .

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 January 10 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There is an Arthur SEGINGHAM (sic) age 1 born Tarland described as Boarder at Glenmuick, Aberdeenshire that's a possibility. Scotlandspeople also appear to have transcribed him as SEGINGHAM

Andy

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 January 10 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Well done andycand.

Nosiness got the better of me.  It's not a matter of SP transcription alone.  The image clearly has the name down as Segingham.  However, accent can account for everything. He's the right age in the right location..  However, others born in Coull are enumerated as such on the same page...  There are other child 'boarders' in the house so it's easily possible that the lady of the house used a generalisation.

sylv66 - I can forward you a copy of the census entry - an image - not transcription if you wish.  Is so, please pm me your e-mail address.

Regards,   Steve

Offline sylv66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 January 10 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Oh ty steve ty ... yes that will be him ... dont know if you got my addy it kept saying error ... if not I will pm you it again ... yes im excited it will be him he was brought up by a lady in ballatar he was an abandonded baby ... it was my dad ..oh ty xx

Offline sylv66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 January 10 15:43 GMT (UK) »
ty andy so excited I got all mixed up with your names lol ... I went on SP and had a look yes its him .. he spoke of the John smith ..in fact called him his brother ... now Dont want to be a pest .but ... the writing is bad but is the head of house Jane bonnerman? because thats the name I seem to recall of the lady that brought him up ... BUT I can not find a death for that name ... she died and was buried in Ballatar ... not sure which year I never met her she died before I was born ...

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 January 10 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Great job Andy and Steve  ;)

Sylv, have you looked at this death entry:

1951 - Jane Bonnyman, aged 97 (good age  8)) in GLENMUICK~ TULLICH AND GLENGAIRN, Aberdeenshire

Did Jane show as unmarried in her 1901 census entry that Andy and Steve found? There is no other surname showing for the above entry which normally indicates the woman was single (or maiden name not known to the informant).

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 January 10 18:02 GMT (UK) »
There are only two death entries showing on SP for someone with her name of Bonnyman and in her age range. The other entry was this one:

1930 - Jane Bonnyman - other surname of Davidson, aged 70 died in Auchterless, Aberdeenshire

This might also be a possibility given that in the 1901 census entry that has been found, there is a William B Davidson, aged 15, b. in Tough, who shows as her son.

Hopefully, either or!

Monica