Author Topic: McGoverne with an (e) on the end?  (Read 921 times)

Offline Sheldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
McGoverne with an (e) on the end?
« on: Tuesday 15 March 05 09:48 GMT (UK) »
New to Rootschat, and hoping to find any other McGovernes with an (e) on the end of the name. So far I have found only 1 other family group with this particular spelling, and I cant link them. My ancestor was born in Scotland, 1838, the other McGoverne was born in Ireland, yet he was younger than my ancestor?
The name appears to be Irish, so I am assuming the family came from Ireland to Scotland.
I hope someone can shed some light on this for me.
Much thanks in advance. Tracy.
Other names:  Bacon:  Sudbury, Ipswich, Suffolk
                        Jeffries: Sudbury, Suffolk
McGoverne,  Bacon (Suffolk) Jeffries (Suffolk) Beaumont (Yorkshire) Gomersall (Yorkshire)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McGoverne with an (e) on the end?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 09:56 GMT (UK) »
I would not dismiss all the ones without an "e".   Unless they were very literate they would have to rely on someone else spelling it for them and most would do so without the e!   Have you done a Google search?   It brings up quite a few.
Andrea

Offline Sheldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: McGoverne with an (e) on the end?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrea, thank you for the reply re McGovernes with an (e) Our family seem to be the only McGovernes with that particular spelling here in New Zealand, and as far as I can see there arent many others n England with the same spelling. I think it doesnt have so much to do with illiteracy as such, maybe someone deliberately changed the spelling for some reason? It has fascinated my family for quite some time. We feel quite alone in the world of McGoverns (no e)
McGoverne,  Bacon (Suffolk) Jeffries (Suffolk) Beaumont (Yorkshire) Gomersall (Yorkshire)