Author Topic: Llandyssil MIs  (Read 2489 times)

Offline Totnor

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Llandyssil MIs
« on: Saturday 09 January 10 14:47 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if there is an MI for Edward Lewis (b.c. 1781 or 1783 in Llandyssil) who died after 1861 census - probably in 1863, and his wife Margaret (nee Owens) who died July 1829? They had 5 children, one of whom died in Llandyssil early in 1862 (Married to a George Meddins).

I have been unable to trace two other children  Margaret and Thomas born 1816 and 1819 respectively. Is it possible they died in childhood and were buried with an MI too?

Thanks

Totnor

Offline cwmllwydion

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Llandyssil MIs
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 January 10 15:31 GMT (UK) »
There were a lot of George Meddins' around but the one that seems to fit is one I am not 100% sure of as I have got the info  from Census returns.
I think he is the son of Samuel Meddins who was the brother of, among others, Susannah who kept a shop in Severn St. Newtown until well in her 80's with her niece MaryJane who married Benjamin Bennett Rowlands.
Samuel and Winifred had 4 children, John, Samuel, Mary Ann and George. George was bapt 26.9.1824 in Newtown, on 1861 Census, living in Llandyssil Village is George, 34, labourer, born Newtown, wife, Mary, 33, born Llandyssil, John Lewis, 11, SON, Mary Lewis, 6, DAUGHTER, and Edward Meddins, 1, son, all born in Llandyssil.
In 1871, George is married to Jane and they live in Glanywern, Cyfoethybrenin. George is 45 and a plate layer, Jane is 47 born in Llanfihangel, Edward is 11, George is 9, both born in Llandyssil, and Jane is 3, born in Llanfihangel. George Jr was born  about 1862/3 so perhaps his mum Mary, died in childbirth. In 1901, George is 77, a railway plate layer, and a widower. He is living with his daughter Jane Bywater, wife of a Master Mariner and her children Thomas Haydn, 4, Jane Gertrude, 3 and George Gwilym,1.
There was also a George Meddins who was a bit of a rogue and fathered 5 children in Newtown by 4 different mothers. The first child, George, son of Mary Bennett, was bapt 28.12.1823 so he could have been the one who married Mary Lewis.
I would imagine that George would be too poor to buy a Headstone for Mary. He was widowed early and had 2 small children to look after and he was a labourer.

Offline Totnor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Llandyssil MIs
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 April 10 13:03 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the delay in replying. Yes, you have the right George. Mary died in the month after George's birth, presumably of childbirth complications. You noticed that Mary had two illegitimate children - probably by two different fathers. Her sister had my Gt-grandfather illegitimately too, and went on to have 9 more children, and married again when that husband died!! Some women!