Author Topic: Help with BARNETT research please  (Read 1578 times)

Offline Karenswb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with BARNETT research please
« on: Saturday 09 January 10 22:34 GMT (UK) »
How can I find out the mother of Sydney William Barnett and where he was born?
On his 1838 marriage cert to Ann Maria Bruce it shows Sydney's father as being Wm Geo Barnett and no mother's name.  Sydney is shown as being 23yo at the time of his marriage, making his birth 1815
The 1841 London census of Sydney & Ann (& also baby Wm Geo) shows that Sydney was not born in the County.  With such scant information does anyone have any suggestions on where I can look to find his birth and his mother?
I have not found a birth record for Sydney so I am wondering if some parents did not register the birth of their children back then??

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Regards
Karen

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Help with BARNETT research please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 January 10 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Civil Registration of BMD's was only introduced on 1.7.1837.  Prior to then - entries were in parish registers so you need to know where he was born

There is no entry on the IGI - did he die before 1851
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Ermintrude46

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Capture of the Maria Riggersbergen, Oct 18th 1806
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 January 10 22:49 GMT (UK) »
1815 was well before the start of civil registration which didn't start until 1837 I'm afraid.  The closest you may find is a baptism record but not all children were baptised as infants.  The early 1800s were a time when the population of London was exploding as young men and women who couldn't find work at home in rural parishes came into the big city for work.  What was Stanley's occupation, and his father's?  Are there any other clues - other possible family members staying with him in later censuses?  Was he still alive in 1851 (in which case the census should give his place of birth)?
Ermy
Baldwin / Dixey / Rumble (Berkshire)
Burnsides / Corps / Harker / HINDLE / Longstaff / Martin / Page (Co. Durham)
Chalker / Glyde / Morris / Pitman / Stroud (Dorset)
BARTON / Heasman / Wheatley (East Sussex)
Baby / Silver / Silvester (Hampshire)
Cheeseman / JONES / Wood (Kent)
Chalker (Somerset)
Curtis / Davis / Stevens (Wiltshire)
Arcules / Carter / HINTON (Worcestershire)
~.~. main lines in CAPS .~.~

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 January 10 22:57 GMT (UK) »
What was Stanley's occupation

1841 shows greengrocer

and his father's

Marriage cert shows Victualler
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 January 10 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Witnesses on the marriage certificaste are sometimes relatives -and can give further clues

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 January 10 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Neither witness had the Barnett surname

Offline Karenswb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 January 10 00:21 GMT (UK) »
What was Stanley's occupation

1841 shows greengrocer

and his father's

Marriage cert shows Victualler

Thanks for your reply so quickly Carole.  It was only 2 months after the 1841 census that Sydney and his family migrated to New Zealand.  He died in 1845 over there, before registration of deaths in NZ and of course well before any census records were started.  Thanks again, I appreciate your help.
Karen

Offline Karenswb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 January 10 00:25 GMT (UK) »
1815 was well before the start of civil registration which didn't start until 1837 I'm afraid.  The closest you may find is a baptism record but not all children were baptised as infants.  The early 1800s were a time when the population of London was exploding as young men and women who couldn't find work at home in rural parishes came into the big city for work.  What was Stanley's occupation, and his father's?  Are there any other clues - other possible family members staying with him in later censuses?  Was he still alive in 1851 (in which case the census should give his place of birth)?
Ermy
Thanks Ermy.  As stated to Carole he left UK just after the 1841 census so no more records of him in UK after that and too early for any death records in New Zealand.  This is a real tricky question and one that may never have an answer.
I certainly appreciate your response and your advice.  Thanks again.
Karen

Offline Karenswb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 January 10 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Witnesses on the marriage certificaste are sometimes relatives -and can give further clues

Suz
Carole has checked the marriage cert also but as she says they do not have Barnett surnames.  I have even checked records for the witnesses trying to find a link but so far no joy there.
Thanks to you all for helping with this... it is fantastic to know there are other people out there willing to help. 
Regards
Karen