Author Topic: Agnes Hepburn Gray, Maryhill glasgow u,k  (Read 2659 times)

Offline linken

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Agnes Hepburn Gray, Maryhill glasgow u,k
« on: Saturday 09 January 10 22:57 GMT (UK) »
hello I am a new member, I have  been researching but have not been able to find what I am looking for/My mother is in hospital and is talking about her father and that he just stepped to go to the shop stepped out she is 85 and has never spoken of her father even when I was growing up, I don't even know his name. I know that my mom was born in Glasgow lived in jousted, she said she was adopted, I don;t know if the name gray was her adopted name or her real name, I know she told me that her mother commuted suicide threw herself into the Clyde, she had a sister Gracie. My mother was born July 1925, I am trying to find this information so that I can at least try to talk to her with a name about her father. anyone with any  idea where I can fibs stuff would be great

Thankyou
Linda

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes Hepburn Gray, Maryhill glasgow u,k
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 January 10 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linken,

Did your mother ever marry?  If so, do you have her marriage cert because that might give you her father's name and profession (and if she married in Scotland, it should also give her mother's name and maiden name.)

Offline linken

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 January 10 23:57 GMT (UK) »
yes she married my father but he has passed away, any documentation, we have not been unable to find since her illness
She never discussed her family with any of us, my mother was  of the generation (children should be seen but not heard)
Thankyou anyway

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 January 10 00:16 GMT (UK) »
I guess you have been using www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk - you could always order your parents wedding cert again.

Otherwise,  I guess the main advice I can give is to listen to your mum and to try to note down everything she says.  Some of it will be fiction  ;) but some of it will be relevant.  I know when I first started doing this, my granny was still alive and she knew some things about her family but an awful lot of half remember bits and pieces.  As I've gone further back and into more detail, I can see where some of the info fits in.

Is your Aunt still alive, or do you have cousins who may know some family stories?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 January 10 01:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda

Were you or your siblings born in Scotland? If you were, your birth certificate would normally include the date and place of your parents' marriage.

You are in a period for records where you cannot view images of BMDs on line on Scotlands People. Certificates would have to be ordered either on line on the Scotlands People site www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk or direct from the GROS (cheaper to do it via SP, although still £10 per certificate).

The other possibility if you are based in Scotland is to visit one of the genealogy centres (Edinburgh or Glasgow for example) where you can view more 'modern' certificates on line and is a much cheaper option which lets you view a large number of entries on the day for the cost of a day's booking.

In reality, it won't be until you look at your parents' marriage cert to see what info is contained there regarding their parents that you can really start to try and break down those walls of missing info.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline linken

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 January 10 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica,
Myself nor my siblings were born in Scotland, I will try to access her birth certificate from the sp website, hope that they will give it to me.
Thanks

Linda

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 January 10 01:19 GMT (UK) »
Linda

You can order birth certs for this period without any problem. You don't have to provide any personal details or prove relationship for example.

The problem with ordering birth certs without any further info is that you have no way of knowing if it is the correct one without being able to verify it against parents' names for example.

You can search SP once you have registered for free. It only costs money to view search results or view images. If you decide to order a certificate which is outside the period of viewing on line, you will go through on the link to a screen for payment.

I've just been having a look now on SP. I can see a birth in Maryhill for an Agnes Gr*y (you can use the '*' wildcard to pick up on spelling variations such as Gray/Grey). There isn't an entry in 1925 but there is one birth showing in 1923.

Did your parents' marry in Scotland or elsewhere? I think it might be better to try and find their marriage cert first which will hopefully give you something to work from.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline linken

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 January 10 01:29 GMT (UK) »
hello
yes I wonder if because she was adopted wether Gray was her birth name or just her adopted name, and now I am wondering if this was a legal adoption or back in 1925 who knows, because of her mother's suicide, I wonder what really happened, maybe there are no records.

Again thanks, I will seach for the mariage certificate

Linda