Author Topic: Name Recorded Wrong?  (Read 1877 times)

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
Name Recorded Wrong?
« on: Sunday 10 January 10 10:30 GMT (UK) »
I have an ancestor, listed as Louisa Passant in all census records and also as Louisa in the death index. However, I can't find any record of a person with this uncommon name being born. The census lists here as being born in c. 1873. I have checked the birth indexes for where the census says she was born. It's the Montgomery district in Montgomeryshire and all the other Passants born in that district are her brothers and sisters. There were no other Passant families in the district.

However, there is a Julia Passant listed as born in 1873 in the district, which is the name of one of Louisa's older sisters born in 1867. The name Julia is recorded in both the ancestry and North Wales BMD, so I am guessing this is not a transcription error. What would be your thoughts on this? My thought is that this Julia is likely to be Louisa. I believe Julia (b. 1867), probably died as an infant and maybe her parents used the name again, but for some reason the name Louisa was used.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Name Recorded Wrong?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 January 10 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Have you discounted the Sarah Louisa recorded in 1871?

Jun quarter

Atcham

Vol 6a   Page 672

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

(love your sheep photo btw - you should enter that in a competition)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 January 10 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Sarah Louise Passant appears on the 1881 census with father Charles

1867-born Julia Passant from Montgomery district appears in the 1871 census (parents Cornelius and Mary?) and there is one in 1881 (living away from her family, b. "Churchstoke").

Then there's - 1873-born "Julia" Passant in Forden district

Then there's one marriage for a Julia in 1889 in Forden district. Possible spouses are William Broxton and Charles Hamer. There is also on the 1901 census at "Shelve Entire" in Shropshire, a family headed by Charles Hamer  (35) and a Julia (35) b. Churchstoke with several children.

Given that it appears the first Julia did not pass away, it is quite possible that the 1873 birth is a transcription error. If you want her birth certificate I would contact not the GRO but the holders of the original registers for the 1873 births (appears to now be probably in Powys district); use North Wales BMD to get the application details/appropriate address.

It could be as simple as the handwriting on the original certificate being hard to read; or the family could have registered her as "Julia" for some reason -accident? - but then baptised her as "Louisa" - baptism records would be an independent check.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 January 10 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your input Arranroots & jorose.

I checked the census and couldn't find anyone who looked like the Julia Passant, b. 1873.

The place of birth probably is Churchstoke, where the family of Cornelius Passant & Mary (Smith) lived.

Before buying the birth cert., I am going to head on down to wherever I can get the relevant baptism records as suggested.

I was just wondering what some of the more experienced genealogists on here would think is most likely in this situation:

adoption?
name change?
born in some fashion that would mean no birth record?
accident in record?

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Names of children in the past were very subjective.  It was not uncommon for a child to be registered as say John, baptised as Frederick & then to be known for the rest of their life as Henry.

I have in my own family several instances of this, both male & female.

One ancestor was born in 1898 with one name, he is recorded in the 1901 census with the same christian name but different surname, on 1911 census new christian name same surname.  He died in the last months of WW1 and joined the army under the same name as the 1911 census.

Until my research many of the people in this branch of my family did not even know that the name they knew him by was not his real birth name.

Even his mother & her sister changed their middle names over the years.   This genealogy business really make you realise how contrary we are.   My mum was known as Rita, but I was 14 before I found out her name was Julia!! ;D :D ;)
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Even his mother & her sister changed their middle names over the years.   This genealogy business really make you realise how contrary we are.   My mum was known as Rita, but I was 14 before I found out her name was Julia!! ;D :D ;)

Thanks for the interesting input Plummiegirl. I think its quite common for people to not know their parents' real names until later in life. 3 of my grandparents used their middle name. I only found out their first names a few years ago.