Author Topic: Date, trade, anything, please!  (Read 1026 times)

Offline finta

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Date, trade, anything, please!
« on: Sunday 10 January 10 15:06 GMT (UK) »
I received this photo yesterday from my brother, and don't recognise anybody in it  ???

Any ideas on date and trade/institution would be very welcome  :)  Those striped coats must mean something  ;D 

Thanks for looking.

finta
Caithness & New World: Robertson, McDonald
Durham: Robertson, Carroll
Ireland:  Carroll, Fanning
Yorkshire: Hall, West
Devon: Robertson

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: Date, trade, anything, please!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 January 10 15:41 GMT (UK) »
my immediate thought would be is that they were possibly butchers seeing that they also have what appears to be aprons on as well. Could the wooden (?) bar at the window be where game/meat was hung as there seems to be premises to the right of the picture that may have been their shop. Date wise I would suggest somewhere between 1910 and 1912 going by the footwear, hemline, style of dress and hair styles.

OR
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline finta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 January 10 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much OR.  :)

Butchers crossed my mind too...but no known family connection discovered yet  :-\

All the old photos I have of this era are from one side of the family...other side too poor to afford them, and the granny from the less poor side was working as a draper's assistant in Sunderland in 1911, and her brother would only have been 13.
Maybe there were butchers elsewhere in the family...I'll need to examine the offshoots ;)
Does the striped blind signify anything do you think?

Thanks! :)

finta

Offline Evie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barnaby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 January 10 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I cannot help with dating and such but I agree they do look like butchers, in fact our butcher today wears a very similar thing.

Evie
Booth, Hornsby, Northumberland & Durham
Jackson, Northumberland & Durham
Douthwaite, N Yorks & Durham
Geldard, N Yorks
Ward, Cheshire & W Yorks
Swallow, Boid, W Yorks
Kirby, Lowe, Studholme, Geary, Emery, Baldock

census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 January 10 17:12 GMT (UK) »
the postcard text dates it (the postcard) to between 1907 and 1918

1907 brought in new rules which changed the wording to include foreign countries

1918 saw a rise in the postal rated to 1d inland

Offline finta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 January 10 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks evie and still-looking - I was wondering about the postage charges  etc.,as they are different from photo postcards I have from 1911-c 17  :)

A little nosying about my grandfather's relatives has brought to light that my grandpa (Dinnington miner, later 'deputy') had an older brother who was described as "butcher" and "jourman" (presumably 'journeyman') in 1911 census).

Strange discovery though (if indeed it is grandpa's brother) as we have no photos of grandpa's wedding.  And only one[/and i] photo of his wife and daughter on holiday in Cleethorpes (c 1923) .....then nothing till c 1935 when his daughter, my mum, was a student at Goldsmith's College, London,  and (being a French 'student', on a French exchange course  ;) in Belgium, where she seemed to get on very well with one particular Belgian  ;D

Thanks again for all comments and wisdom -  you have all been so helpful in trying to 'locate' these people :-)

finta