Author Topic: Andrew  (Read 2145 times)

Offline hereford

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew
« on: Monday 11 January 10 02:00 GMT (UK) »
Researching the Andrew family from Dunbartonshire and stirlingshire. William Andrew circa 1765
Robert Andrew 1797
Robert Andrew 1829 and Finaly William Andrew 1854 He emigrated to nz   It seems that they may have been miners   Any info about this family would be greatfuly recieved Thankyou Hereford
Dawsons,potts,medwins -england
Mcilroy,greer,cannon,Turner-Ireland
wallace,andrew,kemp,Carruthers-scotland
Honan-Australia
New zealand-To name a few names

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello Hereford,
I don't know what information you already have.
The only Findlay Anderson I have found on familysearch.org [IGI] was born 29 Mar 1849, Houston and Killellen, Renfrew. Parents were Robert Andrew and Jean Barr. They were in the 1851 census living in Houston village. Findlay was 2. Robert, 40, was a Mason journeyman and he was born Kilmacolm. [This will help you to find him in the IGI although there was more than one Robert born about that time. Perhaps finding his death cert on Scotland's People will help with this.]
Findlay's mother, Jean, was born c 1813, Houston, Renf.
If you go to familysearch and put C115654 into the 'batch number' box and Robert Andrew and Jean Barr into the parent boxes you will find the births of 7 children.
1861 Findlay was living in Milliken Street, Houston with his parents. He was 14 and a farm servant.
1871 he was living in South Street, Houston and was now a Mason. His mother was the only other person living there.
1881 He was married to Mary. [You will find this on family search]
Children were Catherine 6, Findlay 4, Jane 2. Births on SP.
Hope this is the family you are looking for and helps to move you on a bit.
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline hereford

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply rae but it isnt a findly anderson I am after The family name is andrew. The info I do have is William Andrew 1765 M isabel Terrim It is that line I am researching It appears to have started in dumbartonshire I am also trying to tye in the Wallace connection  as Robert andrew was married to a Mary Wallace again tying in Lanarkshire. I don"t think connected to the Scottish hero at all  A robert Andrew was born in stirlingshire in 1829 .  Thanks Hereford
Dawsons,potts,medwins -england
Mcilroy,greer,cannon,Turner-Ireland
wallace,andrew,kemp,Carruthers-scotland
Honan-Australia
New zealand-To name a few names

Offline Hermit73

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ancestry tree 'Bellingham-Plank-Andrews-Evans'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Doesn't look like our families are connected:

I have my Andrews direct line going back to c1760 in Larbert, Stirlingshire (John Andrew & Grace/Grizel Robertson). When I was looking into the earlier individuals, naming patterns lead me to think there was some link to dumbartonshire/Lanark.
I've been unable to prove it as yet.

Professions in my line of Andrews were Shoemaker (earliest), then subsequently mostly working in the Larbert Carron Iron Works. Some of them also owned property and land. More modern generations turned to working as butchers.

If you think there may be a link with our families, let me know. Thanks
SCOTLAND:  Ferguson, Livingston, Henderson, Stanners, Dougal, Milne, Andrew, Robertson, Duncan, McVinish, Goodall, Laird, Eadie, Ballingham, Bonthrone, Mitchell, Templeton, Donald, Scott, Russell, Towers, Henry, Bell, McLennan, MacKenzie, Leishman, Wilson, Pryde, Galloway, Fortune, Main, Marshall, Denovan.
ENGLAND: Evans, Lloyd, Sudlow, Wright, Moore, Baylis, Parton, Sainsbury, Plank, Jones, France, Eddie.
IRELAND: Bellingham, Hunter,Keenan, Russel,Coulter, Coyle, Pritchard.
WALES: Jones,Evans.

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply rae but it isnt a findly anderson I am after The family name is andrew.
My mistake - the name was Findlay Andrews. Goodness knows where the Anderson came from, sorry. Anyway I don't suppose it makes any difference if he was in the wrong area.
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness