Author Topic: Discovering unwelcome tree facts. A story  (Read 2240 times)

Offline 7igerby7he7ail

• RootsChat Member
  • Where are they?
    • View Profile
Discovering unwelcome tree facts. A story
« on: Monday 11 January 10 07:46 GMT (UK) »
During my schooldays [late 50's-early 60's] there was one teacher who was nothing but a vicous brute and a bully. He picked on the smallest and weakest and would use the cane on them liberally.
He enjoyed caning, we used to call him 'the tennis player', because of the way his foot would leave the ground and his arm movement, as he caned his victims.
This was the only teacher in the whole of my schooldays who I detested.

After leaving school, my family moved to another area.
 I then found out that he lived in the same area as me.
In later years when I started using pubs, he would sometimes use the same pub as myself. Him and his cronies [ a rugby crowd] would sit all night boozing, making the usual sexist/racist/ foul mouthed comments.
Why this man had the capacity to be a teacher I will never know.
We had a couple of confrontations [usually drunken] ending up in fisticuffs.
Anyhow I moved south and 15 years ago started researching my family tree.

I have just discovered that he is my 2nd cousin once removed. No mistake,fact

He still alive in his 80's [only the good die young?]

Cant love 'em all I suppose
Tree
GAUNT N Staffordshire,GAUNT Manchester.GUY,Shropshire, BARTLEY,Salford, Lancs, NEVILLE,Salford. PHILLIPS,Staffs, MAYER,Staffs,COSSAR,Berwick, E and Mid Lothian and Argyll. HIGGINS,Glasgowand Dunoon,Argyll.GALLAGHER,Argyll,IRISH,Herts.

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
Re: Discovering unwelcome tree facts. A story
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 January 10 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Bit of a shock to the system, eh, Gensleuth??

Having a bad type well back in the family is one thing, because you haven't physically met them and had to deal with their unpleasantness.  But finding that someone you detest for good reason is related - well, that would be hard to take!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
Re: Discovering unwelcome tree facts. A story
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 12:24 GMT (UK) »

You know what they say............You can choose your friends but you can't choose your relatives!!!     ;) ;)
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton