Author Topic: MARSHALL, Luton burials 1757 & 1764  (Read 1558 times)

Offline RichardK

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MARSHALL, Luton burials 1757 & 1764
« on: Monday 11 January 10 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello - I've found a burial on the National Burial Index of Elizabeth Marshall on 5 Jun 1764 at Luton - I wondered if someone would be able to check the originals or the transcript for me to see if there's any further information please?  (I'm hoping she's recorded as wife/widow of John Marshall).

Similarly, I'd be interested if there's any extra detail on the Joseph Marshall buried at Luton on 21 Jun 1757.

Many thanks.
Richard.
Kelly, Birkenhead & Co. Kildare
Marshall, Luton & area
Reid, Co. Kildare & Dublin
Cox, Barnack Northamptonshire
Edwards, Pagham, Sussex & area
Scott, Roxburghshire & Perthshire
Mitchell, Warwickshire
Savage, Hampshire

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MARSHALL, Luton burials 1757 & 1764
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Richard

The 21 June 1757 burial is of Joseph son of Jos & Eliz Marshall/Marchal and it follows the burial on 16 June 1757 of Eliz wife of Jos Marshall of Ashwell Bridge.
This Joseph was baptised 17 June 1757 son of Jos & Eliz Marshall of Ashwell Bridge.

I was going to say that this Jos was Joseph, until I saw marriage on 18 Sept 1759 of Josiah Marshall to Eliz Farr. This marriage does not state that Josiah is a widower 

The next baptism is on 6 Jul 1760 of James son of John & Eliz Marshall of Chiltern Green

The 5 Jun 1764 burial is of Elizabeth wife of Jos Marshall.

Later baptisms on 19 Dec 1773 of George & on 21 Jan 1776 of William, children of John & Eliz Marshall of Chiltern Green. George was buried 23 Nov 1778. I suspect these belong to John Marshall & Eliz Madle, widow - who married 21 Oct 1771, rather than the John & Eliz who baptised James in 1760.

There is a burial if 'widow' Marshall of the workhouse on 11 Sept 1761

Regards John

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline RichardK

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MARSHALL, Luton burials 1757 & 1764
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 January 10 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that John.  These things are never as straightforward as you'd like!

It's a confusing lot - there was John Marshall and Elizabeth Saunders who married in 1745 and had various children, including the John who married Elizabeth Madle in 1771, so there are a lot of children of John & Elizabeth Marshalls - but I've been having difficulty finding the corresponding burials for both couples - the only burial I'm reasonably confident about is the Elizabeth Marshall buried 2 Jun 1803 at Luton aged 50, who I think must be Elizabeth Marshall formerly Madle (nee Arnold - she was married to her first husband aged about 18, but he died six weeks later).  Trouble is, Chiltern Green where they lived straddles two counties and three parishes - Luton, Kimpton and King's Walden, and the Kimpton and King's Walden registers aren't properly indexed pre-1800 anywhere yet.  I suspect the Ashwell Bridge lot were connnected too - Ashwell Bridge is at East Hyde, just at the bottom of the hill from Chiltern Green.

Some day I'll have to go to Luton and Hertford, transcribe all the Marshalls from Luton, Kimpton, King's Walden, Harpenden and Wheathampstead and see if the jigsaw works any better!

Thanks for your help.

Regards
Richard.
Kelly, Birkenhead & Co. Kildare
Marshall, Luton & area
Reid, Co. Kildare & Dublin
Cox, Barnack Northamptonshire
Edwards, Pagham, Sussex & area
Scott, Roxburghshire & Perthshire
Mitchell, Warwickshire
Savage, Hampshire