Author Topic: Beaumont-Thomas  (Read 2535 times)

Offline Keith847

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Beaumont-Thomas
« on: Monday 11 January 10 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My wife’s maiden name is Beaumont-Thomas; her grandfather, Bertie, left the Cape Town area of S.A. to live in Warwick UK. He married Florence Wooton (nee Hart) in 1922 in Birmingham. Family rumour has it that Bertie may have been born in Pretoria; his siblings were named Cecil, William & George.

Bertie and Florence had two children, Victor Edward and Alwyn

Victor Edward b. 16/09/1923 in Birmingham d. 13/12/1985 in Yeovil, he married Olga Cutts 22/03/1947 in Birmingham.

Alwyn b. ???? d. 05/02/1993. He was unmarried.

I would be grateful for any information regarding the surname. Of particular interest is when and why the surnames Beaumont and Thomas became hyphenated.

Many thanks

Keith

Offline Keith847

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Beaumont-Thomas
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 January 10 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My wife has just supplied me with a bit of extra information that may be useful.
Bertie is recorded in the 1911 uk census living with his Aunt, Harriett Cupples in Handsworth Staffordshire. He is recorded as Bert Thomas, tailors assistant, South Aftica Cape Colony resident.
He was in the Warwickshire regiment during the first world war.

Keith

Offline aida_sbt

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 March 10 01:31 BST (UK) »
Hi there Keith
Victor Edward Beaumont-Thomas and his wife Olga had 9 children. Victor Edward Beaumont-Thomas was my father in law - I'm married to Jonathan, we live in the UK. I am not sure about the origin of this lovely surname, but am looking into it. Are you guys based in SA?
Regards
Adriana

Offline Keith847

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 04:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Adriana

It was nice to hear from you. I should have mentioned in my post that my wifes name is Susan.

She is actually Jonathan's sister and, as you are probably aware, we are living in Penang. I know we haven't met yet but I'm sure we will in the future. Best of luck with your search; the South African link is really interesting to research.

Kind regards to you and Jonathan and congratulations on the birth of Nina.

Keith