Author Topic: Leasowes House, Penn, Wolverhampton  (Read 6577 times)

Offline Worn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Leasowes House, Penn, Wolverhampton
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 August 12 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Jason
I was very pleased to get your reply. 
My name is Margaret and I live in Lincolnshire with my husband having left Wolverhampton over forty years ago.
 I am the daughter of  the eldest of the six Jones children - there were three girls and three boys.  Dian'e was a cousin as David her brother is. We spent childhood holidays together and when my parents parted I lived with your grandparents. I was at your Mother's funeral and also your Grandfathers, he was always uncle John to me.  I was very fond of your Grandmother and went to see her the year before she died. If you contact David he will tell you all about me. I spoke to him on Monday night.

From my research, the Jones moved into the Leasowes in about 1915. Prior to this they lived in Pensnett and Wombourn. Ma Leasowe, as we called her, died in 1948 and Pa in 1949.  They are buried in Penn Fields Church, as my Father is.  The grave is now in a sorry state but their names and "The Leasowes"is still legible on the tombstone.. I have photographs.

The archives in Wolverhampton has some documents relating to the Leasowes  which I have seen but they don't throw much light on the house and kept referring to Leasowes Farm which is a diffrent dwelling. Items of interest that they have got stored away are three pieces of stained glass from the front doors. The doors were always referred to as the "Glass Doors" Sadly no photographs.

My searching will continue.

Bye for now

Offline jase2190

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 August 12 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret,

Thanks for your reply, yes I do remember you how are you doing? I've just moved to France last Saturday as I needed to get out of the rat race. I've been looking for photos and information about the Leasowes for many years but have found nothing, I can't understand that there are no records regarding this grant house, Anyway I'll keep looking, I'll phone David tomorrow and get your email address as you can't post them on this site, speak soon,

Regards,

Jason.

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 September 19 16:57 BST (UK) »
I found this on the Black Country History site. It shows Leasowes House, Merry Hill, which I believe is the house you're looking for. The pic shows the Jones family outside the front of the house
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 September 19 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Not sure if its the right house but www.blackcountryhistory.org has an 1811 etching under The Leasowes. Picture of lake with house behind.
Looks a grand house.

cathy

I think that's the one at Halesowen Cathy. Far too grand to be the house I remember! :D
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes