Author Topic: Sleepless in Suffolk  (Read 3310 times)

Offline ysabeau

• RootsChat Senior
  • The next links in the mitochondrial DNA chain.....
    • View Profile
Sleepless in Suffolk
« on: Tuesday 15 March 05 14:26 GMT (UK) »
desperately, desperately needs help and guidance from experienced genealogist(s) re whereabouts of Jane Laing after 1861.

1838/1839 - Jane was born at MacharsHaugh Kildrummy, one of the nine children of John Laing and his wife Ann Anderson.

1853 - Ann Thomson born, mother Jane
           1861 - Living at Auchindoir with mother
           1871 - Living at Leslie with GreatUncle Peter and family
           1881 - ?

1857 - George Alexander Laing born, mother Jane
           1861 - Living at Auchindoir with mother
           1871 - Living at Auchindoir with uncle
           1881 - Living at Gartly, as George Thomson
           1891 - ?

1858 - mother Ann Anderson died, buried at Clatt

1860 - Margaret Hunter born, mother Jane, father James Hunter who later marries and moves to Aberdeen
           1861 - ?
           1871 - Living at Kildrummy with fathers family
           1881 - Living with father at Aberdeen
           1889 - Marries at Calcutta, India
           1901 - Returns from Burma with husband + 3 children
           1921 - Died at Aberdeen

1876 - father John Laing died, buried at Clatt

The above is all I know about Jane. After 1861 she disappears, and despite having spent time/money on
(a) ScotlandsPeople, and
(b) Train fares/hotel bills at Aberdeen, trawling through 1871 census returns for neighbouring areas, and
(c) Burning the midnight oil on the Internet
I am no further advanced than I was six months ago.

The 1881 census for Jane Laing, Lane, Laign, Laine, Lynch or Lang born Kildrummy, Kildrummie, Kildrumy or Kildrumie, aged 40-45 is not "trapping" her, which indicates she's either dead, married or emigrated.

Deaths between 1861-1930, with a 1838/1839 birth are 4 in Aberdeenshire (checked) and 37 in All Areas (checked some)

Marriages between 1861-1881, are 11 in Aberdeenshire (checked) and 2 in Banffshire (checked)

Tried the same "tactics" with daughter Ann, Anne, Annie etc...
in 1881 census, nothing.

Marriages for Ann Thomson 1871-1881 in Aberdeenshire are 13 in total, have checked some (localish to Leslie), the same with deaths, total 5.

Sorry if this is a bit waffly, but seriously, would appreciate some help.

Aberdeenshire : Anderson + Baxter + Bruce + Dickson + Emslie + Hendry + Hunter + Laing + Lawson + Maitland + Reid + Robb + Walker + Watt + Williams

Banffshire/Morayshire : Farquharson + Gordon + Grant + Lamb + Lawson + Stewart/Stuart

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suegill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Sleepless in Suffolk
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Sorry but you might never find out.  She could have died or married anywhere.  When I started with this "hobby" many years ago the best advice I was given was to start with what you know and go backwards.

I've done the same as you and tried to fill in all the details for all the children of ancestors and sometimes it just isn't possible, especially with women.  If you don't "know" she married etc. they can become impossible to trace.

Best of luck with your search
Sue
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Alker - Aspull, Hindley
Marsh - Atherton
Blain - Atherton
Gill - Atherton
Hogg - Loscoe, Crich
Harrison - Heanor, Ruddington
Earnshaw - Heanor
Cope - Heanor, Loscoe, Mapperley
Daykin - Heanor, Loscoe, Mapperley

Offline Lady Macbeth

• 1965-2013
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 16:49 GMT (UK) »
HI, It sounds like she died between 61 and 71.  Sorry if you've already tried this but have you searched using Jean instead of Jane, as the two were usually interchangeable (or so I have found in my families) and ScotlandsPeeps can be a bit fussy.  I would also try a wildcard search with Lai* and La* and even possibly Hunter in case she adopted the father's name (stranger things have happened).

I have 'lost' pratically a whole load of children around 1900 who I believe emigrated but to where....no idea.  Sometimes you have to admit defeat.  (Yes I have spent a fortune on SP's as well - you feel like you are on a mission.  Also, I am very stubborn and refuse to give in; a bad trait.)

Good luck
Lesley
Gegan, Geoghegan, Gagan, or any variation whatsoever in Ireland (particularly Co Offaly/Kings Co) and Scotland;
Symons and Symon in Angus, Perthshire and Aberdeenshire, Scotland;
McKenna in Ireland and Scotland;
Wilkie in Kincardine and Angus, Scotland

Offline ysabeau

• RootsChat Senior
  • The next links in the mitochondrial DNA chain.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 March 05 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your comments.
Maybe my personal message should read :

Jane long (laing) dead, but not forgotten !!
Aberdeenshire : Anderson + Baxter + Bruce + Dickson + Emslie + Hendry + Hunter + Laing + Lawson + Maitland + Reid + Robb + Walker + Watt + Williams

Banffshire/Morayshire : Farquharson + Gordon + Grant + Lamb + Lawson + Stewart/Stuart

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk