Author Topic: REGAN of Ardkill (Ardcull) Ballaghaderreen, Roscommon (COMPLETED)  (Read 12049 times)

Offline johnroscommon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: REGAN of Ardkill (Ardcull) Ballaghaderreen, Roscommon
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 00:48 GMT (UK) »
There is a large amount of information available on this family:
For information on Ardkill and Boghtaduff townland visit:
http://www.roscommonhistory.ie/People/JohnHunter/Notes.pdf
http://www.roscommonhistory.ie/People/JohnHunter/Index2.pdf
May be useful to look at the LDS films – change of occupiers of land 1854-1920. Also tithe Applotment.
Search http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/GRIFFITH/lrgrif.html for Ardkill & Boghtaduff townlands.
See also http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=doNameSearch&Submit.x=0&Submit.y=0&Submit=Submit&familyname=kilkenny&firstname=james&baronyname=&countyname=LEITRIM&unionname=&parishname=
At Griffith’s Valuation a large number of the occupiers of land in Ardkill townland were named Tuohy and Regan. Most occupied a reasonable amount of land. Don’t be set on the spelling of a surname.
The LDS British Isles Vital Records set of 16 CDs lists four Civil births for Patick Regan, births registered in Ballaghaderreen Registrar’s District (includes Ardkill townland & Boghtaduff townland):
REGAN, Pat   Bir   1868   Irel   Mayo
Fa:   Edward REGAN, Mo:   Margaret HARDYMAN
REGAN, Patrick   Bir   1870   Irel   Mayo
Fa:   John REGAN, Mo:   Margaret DOHERTY
REGAN, Patrick   Bir   1872   Irel   Mayo
Fa:   Patrick REGAN, Mo:   Margret GALLAHER
REGAN, Patrick   Bir   1873   Irel   Mayo
Fa:   Patrick Regan, Mo:   Margaret Towey
I can supply the LDS film numbers if you want to check the place of birth and occupation of father.
Two likely siblings (all registered in Ballaghaderreen Registrar’s District).
REGAN, Martin   Bir   1868   Irel   Mayo
Fa:   Pat REGAN, Mo:   Margaret TOWEY
REGAN, Patrick   Bir   1873   Irel   Mayo
Fa:   Patrick Regan, Mo:   Margaret Towey
REGAN, Margaret   Bir   1875   Irel   Mayo
Fa:   Patrick REGAN, Mo:   Margaret TOWEY
Xx
You can view the British Isles Vital Records Index set of CDs at major Public libraries, genealogy societies or LDS Family History Centres. Worth the effort as there are lots of Towey/Regan births in Ballaghaderreen Registrar’s District.
Birth of Mary
TOWEY, Mary Birth, Gender: Female. Birth Date: 26 Feb 1868.
Birth registered in Ballaghaderreen Registrar’s District, Mayo, Ire
Father:   Martin TOWEY,    Mother: Margaret CAULFIELD
Source: FHL Film 101163.
Siblings of Mary:
TOWEY, Mary. Bir 1868   Irel   Mayo
Fa: Martin TOWEY, Mo:   Margaret CAULFIELD
TOWEY, Catharine. Bir 1873 Irel Mayo
Fa: Martin Towey, Mo: Margaret Caulfield
If the families were Catholic, the Ballaghaderreen Baptism and church marriage records are on LDS microfilm:
1851 - 1963, film 1279232 item 1-9 (926005 dup.), various 1279233 and 926004.
For details on each film visit www.familysearch.org, click on library catalogue,  click on film/fische search.
Irish research is very expensive. I suggest you don't pay for Irish research until you know how the system operates

Offline illingworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 08:28 GMT (UK) »
John

Thanks so much for all the info you sent to me.  It will take me awhile to sort it all out.  I will get back to you later if that's okay with you.  Interested by you saying not to get into paying for Irish research yet.  I had also delved into someone helping me over in Ireland but their fees were too, too much.

Eve

Offline illingworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 January 10 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello John

There are a few things I would like to ask.  The birth of Patrick Regan 1870 Mayo with a mother Margaret Doherty sounds right but the father is down as John.  I have a copy of Patricks marriage cert with his father down as Hugh - any explanation as to why a name would change.  Also on the civil list Patricks Regans death in 1942 in either Roscommon or Mayo does not give a birth in 1870.

The one I am now sure of is Mary Towey born 1868 Mayo.  Are there any reasons why her brothers births are not listed.  Can I send off for birth certs for as early as 1868 for catholic births?

Eva

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 January 10 15:55 GMT (UK) »
.....Are there any reasons why her brothers births are not listed.  Can I send off for birth certs for as early as 1868 for catholic births...

Full civil registration started in 1864, so births from that date onward should be recorded. Sometimes, especially in the early years of registration,  people did not register the occasional birth, and others may be mis-indexed ..so you may need to try spelling variations to find them.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline illingworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 January 10 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shanew for info.

Eva