Author Topic: LDS -what to expect  (Read 3331 times)

Offline ringarosy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LDS -what to expect
« on: Tuesday 12 January 10 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Just doing research on the LDS site, and found someone has done a lot on my family forebears. There is a disc mentioned and pin numbers. There are an awful lot of people there with the same surname, are they all on the one disc?

What else can you expect to see on these discs and can you buy them?

Are they expensive, and is all the info accurate?

Thanks.
Grimes Patterson Keeley -- Warwickshire
Hollis Cooper Solomons Hubbard Moses Merrott -- Bethnal Green, Hackney
Dunlop Grimes -- NSW

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
Re: LDS -what to expect
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 04:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I don't know about these disks but maybe they are a follow on for the books on surnames that used to- and still may be- for sale.

The books were close to useless and a rip off in my opinion. Lists of names, no proper sourcing, and no way of knowing how reliable anything was.
I'd be very wary.... until you know reliable researchers recommend it.

charlotte

Offline regross

• RIP 16th November 2012
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • paper doll fashionista
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 05:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I would be very wary,

I found my great grandfather and his wife referenced there on discs and unfortunately the research was wrong, incorrect parents and marriage date.correct children though.

The researcher obviously had not purchased any certificates and was following information only from indexes or oral information.

Having copied and sent the correct information asking also for a correction of the entries nothing has happened.

Again the information is as accurate as the research put in and you have no way ofknowing unless you have spot checked  and verified lots of the info you are after on the discs.

Robyn
The following families and their Australian decendents:
Abbott, Barnard, Clarke, Inward, Lanfear, Rutter,Spencer:Middlesex
Greenaway:Cornwall
Edney, Godwin/Goodwin, Gullett:Hampshire;
Gullett:Devon
Emms:39th Regiment of Foot 1810-1832
Gordon:Scotland
Arnold, Morton:Ireland
Davies:Wales
Olcorn:Cumberland
Osborne:Staffordshire
Harrington:Kent
&
Gross: Tullau Wurtmemburg Germany

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 06:22 GMT (UK) »
Although the LDS site is very good for starters, I can vouch that some of the information is incorrect. I supplied the site with certain information, and am listed as a Submitter. Unfortunately, somewhere along the line, somebody at LDS has got to my records, and has transcribed some of my records completetly incorrectly as to what I had supplied.

Here some examples of their mistakes;

Ancestor's birth place Salesbury, Lancashire, England - should be Salisbury, Wiltshire

Ancestor's marriage place Marynrough, , Queensland - should be Maryborough

Ancestor's name Mary Nernard Corfe - should be Mary Bernard Corfe

Ancestor's birth place Grafton, , Nsw, Australia - should be Glebe some 600kms away

I have no idea why the information was mis-transcribed.

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 06:37 GMT (UK) »
Les, that's not at all funny.
You would have supplied the correct info in typed form no doubt so transcription errors didn't come into it.

A most disappointing tale :(

charlotte

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 07:14 GMT (UK) »
Les, that's not at all funny.
You would have supplied the correct info in typed form no doubt so transcription errors didn't come into it.

A most disappointing tale

Whilst the Pedigree file has Mary Bernard Corfe correctly the IGI has a submitted entry for Mary NERNARD Corfe. I couldn't check the others as there isn't sufficient information.

Andy

Offline Guy Etchells

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 07:50 GMT (UK) »
The discs you mention will be the Pedigree Resource Files.
These are collections of family histories compiled by patrons and submitted to the LDS.

Note a patron might be a member of the LDS church or might be a member of the general public.

As with gedcoms submitted to many sites on the internet no checking is done and the accuracy of the research depends upon the researcher who compiled the family history.
Some are highly accurate some are poor.

Many of the Pedigree Resource Files may be searched online on the familysearch site
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

Click the advanced search link then click the Pedigree Resource Files link.

As with any gedcom or compiled pedigrees use as a pointer to possible records and check everything.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 09:54 GMT (UK) »

Whilst the Pedigree file has Mary Bernard Corfe correctly the IGI has a submitted entry for Mary NERNARD Corfe. I couldn't check the others as there isn't sufficient information.

Yes, its only my Pedigree ones that are incorrect (but not all). I still don't know what happened, as CharlotteCH indicated, they were sent in via typed attachment (or GEDCOM?) - many years ago. They were correct for a number of years, but somehow, they just changed to the incorrect details, so somebody must have transcribed them for some reason???? I did email my concern ages ago, but nothing ever came of it.

RootsWeb also got the same GEDCOM, but no changes on their site.

I do agree that the IGI are invaluable, however, the Pedigree records are good for a starting point if you have nothing else to go on.

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Yes, its only my Pedigree ones that are incorrect (but not all).

Hi Les

Maybe someone has taken your Pedigree entries and submitted them to the IGI and unfortunately made a few errors

Andy