Author Topic: COMPLETED  (Read 13413 times)

Offline 2november78

• -
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COMPLETED
« on: Tuesday 12 January 10 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm trying to find my grandfather's war records. I know some maybe difficult to trace, but was wondering if anyone could help or give me some clues / roots to take.

Would be nice to look into this more and try to find some more information out and maybe find some records for him.

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching RAF WWII documents
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Next of kin can apply for copy of a deceased servicemans record. See link below

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

Andy

Offline kyt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.cfww2.com Commonwealth Forces of WW2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I've just checked the London Gazette and he doesn't appear to have been commissioned as an officer.

The only way to ascertain where he served, units etc would be through his service records. They can be applied for via:

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

The next of kin (your father?) will need to apply. Provide as much info as you have. A service number would be nice but not essential. And make sure to request photocopies of the file. Their typed summaries can be a bit sterile.

If you have any photos of him in uniform then post them up as they may provide clues.

BTW Lancasters were not used in Burma. And Mossies arrived quite late in the war in the Far East.

K

Offline 2november78

• -
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that info.
Like i said, i don't have much to go on and what i think i know could also be wrong.

I will have to see if my dad is the next of kin, it could well be my uncle.
The only photo i have is the one below.

Offline kyt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 January 10 11:25 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid their are no distinguishing marks or badges on the uniform. So it maybe taken just after he had enlisted. But I would say that that is a RAF uniform.

K

Offline gordon5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 February 10 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi

It looks like his "best blue", the day to day uniform was of a much coarser (and warmer) material, commonly referred to as a "hairy mary" I think!! So far as I know rank badges would have been worn on the sleeves but as you say, there don't appear to be any at the time this photo was taken - or they are out of shot.

gordon5
Steadwood worldwide, Horsburgh, McBean (and variants), Pride, Ross, mostly in the Lothian and Borders area, Ingles and variants from Buckie, Wilson, Stoddart.

Offline Papa1

• RootsChat Member
  • Waterford City Coat of Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 February 10 23:19 GMT (UK) »

If that's the case, i doubt i will get anything back.   :(

I would have said that your father is the "next of kin" as is your uncle or any other siblin.
So I would just ask your father to write a letter and sign it requesting the service record or write it yourself and get your fathers signature on it.
Newport's War Dead, Cwmbran's War Dead, Monmouthshire Warrior's, McGuire of Waterford City, Gillard of Churchstanton, north Devon, Morgan of Cwmbran, Waterford's War Dead

Offline kyt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 09:15 GMT (UK) »

If that's the case, i doubt i will get anything back.   :(

I would have said that your father is the "next of kin" as is your uncle or any other siblin.
So I would just ask your father to write a letter and sign it requesting the service record or write it yourself and get your fathers signature on it.

Sorry to be pedantic but as far as the MoD is concerned, the NoK is the eldest sibling unless there are reasons why that shouldn't be.

Offline Papa1

• RootsChat Member
  • Waterford City Coat of Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Well I applied for my cousins and got his RAF service record without any questions being asked other than it cost me £25.
His edest brother was still alive at the time and he then signed a letter allowing me to claim his brothers medals of which he had no interest in.
He himself did not want to claim his own medals and he was on the beaches on D-Day!
Newport's War Dead, Cwmbran's War Dead, Monmouthshire Warrior's, McGuire of Waterford City, Gillard of Churchstanton, north Devon, Morgan of Cwmbran, Waterford's War Dead