Author Topic: Illegitimate Birth registrations  (Read 1452 times)

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Illegitimate Birth registrations
« on: Tuesday 12 January 10 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I wondered whether when a mother was registering an illegitimate child's birth whether the registration could show up in both her maiden name/unmarried name AND the father's name.

I ask this question because I have 2 possible relatives who were born before their parents married and I have come across the same Christian names being registered in the same district, same quarter & year (in facrt same ref no on the GRO) with both the mother's maiden name AND the father's surname.  I found these by searching both the father's surname and the mother's maiden name.  The parents later married and had another child who took the father's name.

What makes it more intersting is that at the time, the father's surname is very rare!

I would be interested to hear what people think please?

Thanks in anticipation ...

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Illegitimate Birth registrations
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi

In the case of  an illigitimate birth the father was only named on the certificate if he attended the registration. Then the GRO would index the birth under both surnames and of course the Vol and Page number would be identical. (there was only one actual registration) If the father didn't attend the registration then he wasn't included in the registration details and the GRO would index the birth under the mothers surname only

Andy

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Illegitimate Birth registrations
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Many thanks for your quick reply!  I thought that was the case, but just wanted to check.

Westwood1