Author Topic: Thomas Irving  (Read 2783 times)

Offline Wernddu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Irving
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 17:57 GMT (UK) »
I think i have them in West derby liverpool in1841. His occupation is fireman. Janet is given as Jane and the birth years are out, but the usually are on the 1841. I think it is them.
I hadn't found the July 1836 John Irvine. (Often confused with Irving) Thomas and Janet were married in February 1836 so a child in July is quite possible. I'll look at it. Thanks.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 15 January 10 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

I've been puzzling over Thomas's brother,  Joseph,  and mother , Elizabeth, staying with them on the 1851.  Have you got them on the 1841, Elizabeth's death or Joseph after 1851?

Unfortunately, the online IGI batch for Annan births is one of those 'female only' batches so I went onto SP. The only Joseph Irvin* born/bpt around 1818 are these:

25 March 1814    Parents - Robert Irving  and Mary Currie

3 October 1819 Parents - Douglas Irving and Janet Aitchison

Because of the possibility of the family being non-conformist, baptisms might not show on SP (as James in 1836 in Lanark). However,  I thought that a marriage/banns for Thomas's parents might.

These are the only Irvin* marriages to an Elizabeth (close alternatives)  showing in Annan:

24 Nov 1805   John Irving to    Isabella Irving

3 May 1812   James Irving to Elizabeth Graham   

2 August 1813   John Irving to Elizabeth Scott   

Of course, they might not have married in Annan but it's worth investigating these couples.

If you could get Elizabeth's death certificate it just might give information about her husband, although not all did.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Wernddu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 15 January 10 13:07 GMT (UK) »
I can't find an Elizabeth or Joseph with even half hearted conviction apart from 1851. I did wonder if perhaps Joseph went to sea and that's why he's missing.
I tried to get Elizabeth's death certificate, assuming that she died in Liverpool. She was 75 in 1851. On none of the possibles was the age close, nor was she a widow.
Unless Thomas's father married twice I don't think Douglas and Janet can be Joseph's parents. Either the James and Elizabeth graham or the John and Elizabeth Scott are possibles. Thanks.

I've been puzzling over the Thomas shown on what I think is the 1841 census. He disappears after that. But James was born in 1840, so where is he on the 1841? Or was he called Thomas James and they dropped Thomas to avoid confusion with his father? perhaps they were still in Carlisle in 18141

Many thanks - what's SP?!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 15 January 10 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi

SP = Scotland's People ( www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk  )

I'll keep looking and let you know if I find anything.

I wonder if Elizabeth went back to Scotland  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Wernddu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 January 10 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much. I'll look at those two marriages.