Author Topic: "Wataloo" Blyth  (Read 7687 times)

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
"Wataloo" Blyth
« on: Monday 11 January 10 20:14 GMT (UK) »
WasWaterloo a district of Blyth at one time

I have a post card written to my grandparent the address given is 23, Middleton Street
Waterloo
Blyth
it is congratulating them on the birth a one of their babies
they had 3 children born at Blyth 1911 1913 and 1916 all births on the certificates are Newsham Station  Cottages

This I cannot work out

My uncle was a stamp collector and guess what the stamp and date have gone

Elizabeth
Moderator Comment:  Post split from the original one as it is a new topic
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
Re: Waterloo Road Blyth
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 January 10 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Waterloo
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 January 10 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Middleton Street was, and still is, a couple of streets south of Waterloo Road and runs parallel with it.  Newsham Station Cottages are a long way from there.

I would hazard a guess that there was another child either before or after the ones you know about.

If my memory is working today  ;D there is a long thread on here about Newsham Station cottages - with a photograph.

Christine

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 January 10 21:46 GMT (UK) »
No Christine
 no more babies I have them all
I have been on the thread of Newsham Station and some day plan to go there as I only live about 17 miles from Blyth

Elizabeth

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 January 10 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Could her mother possibly live in Middleton Street?  Maybe she had her baby at her mother's (or other family member).

She'd have been there some time (lying-in about 14 days back then?) and postcards were delivered very quickly.

Just a thought.

Christine

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 January 10 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Christine I see what you mean her mother lived at South Shields and mother in law Newcastle at the time
She had no relatives that I know of living in Blyth
And there would not be nursing homes etc in those days would there
The card was from a friend of hers as far as I know
Elizabeth

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 00:07 GMT (UK) »
What about an address search on the 1911 - see who lived there?

C

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Was Waterloo a district of Blyth at one time?

Elizabeth

Waterloo was named after Wellington's great victory in 1815. In 1897 people living in the area west of Union St and south of the railway would have given their address as Waterloo not Blyth. Middleton St fits that criteria. How long Waterloo continued to be such before becoming a Blyth address I do not know.

Philip

Shame about the stamp because judging by what is left of the stamp on the card it was ruined anyway. Can you scan the other side of the card for us, it might help with dating.
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Here is the card Philip and Christine I have got the 1911 census and they are at the Station cottages Newsham

Is there a way I could find out who was living in 23,Middleton Street 1911 ,1913 ,1916 Just a thought my granda was in the army 1916 when the last baby was born could my grandmother be staying with someone while my granda was away for safety reasons with 4or 5 of her children

Elizabeth