Author Topic: Using Tribalpages.. wondering if there is comething better.  (Read 985 times)

Offline mckenzieclan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Using Tribalpages.. wondering if there is comething better.
« on: Tuesday 12 January 10 19:19 GMT (UK) »
So far I have been satisfied with Tribalpages, but was wondering what the consensus was out there for on-line family tree hosting services..

The one issue I have is hosting document sources as photos kind of leaves me wanting...

Maybe I am missing something...

What are everyone's thoughts?

Thanks,

Scott

Offline DBHTwigs

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Using Tribalpages.. wondering if there is comething better.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 March 24 17:35 GMT (UK) »
I've been using TribalPages for about 20 years and have loved it. It provide me with a secure, very professional looking website and I too have been very satisfied.

Am getting less satisfied however...

1. I'm worried that the whole site is going belly-up. Support seems virtually non-existent. They don't respond to forum messages, emails, Twitter tweets, Facebook posts... I don't understand why they would develop such a superb product and then more or less abandon it... other than to collect renewal subs!!!

2. I don't have any problem with photos or documents. The photo albums are great.

3. I keep my main data on Family Historian and used to upload an updated gedcom to TP frequently, which worked seamlessly.  The last time I tried it wiped my whole TP tree... (not sure whether it was a TP or FH problem.) TP Support did help and were able to restore my tree on that occasion - but, several years later, I haven't had the courage to try again, especially as Supports seems to have disappeared.

4. My main gripe is that it can't cope with multiple census entries or multiple residences or occupations. You can add custom events, but not enough to cover all censuses, the 1939 Register plus a lifetime of work and house moves. If they sorted this, it would be pretty perfect.

In answer to your question, I haven't found anything better or even close to comparable. Just hope it can be saved!

Linda