Author Topic: WW2 Manchester Regiment Enquiry  (Read 2061 times)

Offline Ellennnn61

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW2 Manchester Regiment Enquiry
« on: Wednesday 13 January 10 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone had any information on the Manchester Regiments in the Second World War. I have tried to search for my grandad, Eric Pearce, who i know served in a Manchester Regiment in the Second World War. We know he ended up in Essen at the end of the war. We thought he was in the 2nd battalion, however I cannot find any link between Essen and the 2nd battalion of the Manchesters. No one really knows where he fought because he didn't talk about it to his family very much and all we have are some pictures of him and friends at different places. One is outside a German camp, if that helps? We know he arrived in Essen from the picture of him arriving on a motorbike to greet a woman from the town in a Union Jack jumper! It would be a great help if anyone knew a little bit about the Manchesters, or even if you are having the same problem as me.
Thanks,
Ellennnn :D :D

Offline Robe

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 Manchester Regiment Enquiry
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Your father was most certainly in the 1st Battalion.  They fought through north-west Europe and ended the war in Hamburg, after which they went to Essen with headquarters in the Villa Hugel -home of the Krupp family.

I suggest that you place this enquiry on the Manchester Regiment Forum where some of the experts might be able to provide more information.

- http:/.

Offline Ellennnn61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 Manchester Regiment Enquiry
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Robe,

thank you for your help, hopefully i will be able to find out more information now I know which battalion he was in!

Thanks again,
Ellennnn94