Author Topic: WW1 records confusion..  (Read 15962 times)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 records confusion..
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 14 January 10 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Borley,

To save yourself money- and time.You really need to start with what you DO know-you ,your parents and grandparents names DOB's marriages etc and work backwards through the censuses.

If you tell us what you do have that is fact and not just family hearsay,then we'll help you prove who your ancestors were.

Rootschat doesn't allow names of anyone still alive on the boards,so please remember that when typing anything out.

Regards

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Borley Manor

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 14 January 10 18:08 GMT (UK) »
http://www.naval-history.net/xDKCas1913subs.htm

What about this lad Richard WG Stainer lost at sea 1909 in Submarine C11 ??

Richard William George Stainer.may have been known as William??

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=6991685&queryType=1&resultcount=30

Ady

This could almost be proof that this is the guy, on earlier census returns asking after a Richard William George Stainer, they are using the middle name of William, plus, the use of my grandmothers (hopefully) middle name of Maude as her first name and so on. it is a strange habit in those days, I found this a lot in my paternal tree as well..
I will send off for this cert' you mention, as there may well be some confirmation of folk history.
I found a photograph, taken just a couple of days before the submarine perished, with a number of crew, posing quite clearly visible. If the chap ison it, then which one, will my mother remember the picture, how weird is this getting now..???
Thank you all again, what a trip this is turning out to be..
reg
Seward (Linc'shire) (W. London)
Stainer  (Dorset)
Harker  (Cumbria)

Offline Borley Manor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 14 January 10 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Borley,

To save yourself money- and time.You really need to start with what you DO know-you ,your parents and grandparents names DOB's marriages etc and work backwards through the censuses.

If you tell us what you do have that is fact and not just family hearsay,then we'll help you prove who your ancestors were.

Rootschat doesn't allow names of anyone still alive on the boards,so please remember that when typing anything out.

Regards

Carol

I wish I could prove anything first hand, all I had is my grandmothers maiden name, that was wrong, the place of her birth, that was wrong as well, the year of her birth, that was wrong and so on, I have proved her marriage though, but the record is not extant for some reason, so no copy available as yet, it's akin to being in a square, high walled room with no openings,,, very long suffering pastime indeed...
I take note of your comments,
reg
Stainer  (Dorset)
Harker  (Cumbria)

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 14 January 10 20:06 GMT (UK) »
As you look at it bottom right hand man has a X in white and also X in dark close by think this could be your man.....If(when :)) you purchase and download the record if you need any help decyphering the Naval language/terminology im sure youl get help on here

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Borley Manor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 14 January 10 21:00 GMT (UK) »
What gives you the idea that the crossed man is the one, did you put the crosses on there, are you my relative ???  :o
reg
Stainer  (Dorset)
Harker  (Cumbria)

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 15 January 10 01:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Reg...more confusion! i thought it was your photo youd found at home but now i see its available on the net!!
Ignore my comment :)

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Finder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 15 January 10 02:31 GMT (UK) »
sailor second row in the middle looks like he wants to rip someones head off  :)

I've looked through a few more records but not found anything enlightening yet

James

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 15 January 10 11:50 GMT (UK) »
I must echo Carol's words in an earlier post.
You really do need to work back logically from what you know for sure, confirming each step as you go.

You say you are pretty sure that your grandmothers maiden name was Stainer, from the birth index entries for her children.

Have you actually got any of these certs to confirm their mums name was Alice Maud Stainer? Or is that just an 'assumption' (Dont take any notice of whether it is spelt with an 'e' or not)

If not, getting your mother/father's birth cert would if my humble opinion be £7 well worth spending.

I did find 2 births for Alice Maud Stainers, and so IF that is the right Christian name and the right era, one MIGHT be your grandmother.

You say you have ruled out the 1899 one with parents Fred and Angelina - how have you ruled it out if you know absolutely nothing about the Stainer family?

I cant see the other one on a census to check on what brothers she had.

So, in order to prevent yourself either going mad with frustration or else settling for something that seems possible but might be absolutely nothing to do with your family at all, you are going to need to spend some money.
Looks like £3-50 for the Richard's war record, and £7 for mums birth cert will be good starters.
It may mean value beans on toast for dinner, or no Starbucks coffee for a while, but if you are serious about tracing finding out the truth about this great uncle of yours, I fear it is the only way.

LizDB

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 15 January 10 15:40 GMT (UK) »
WG Stainer was 33 and the son of William and AE Stainer of 22 Twyford Ave, West Acton, London.

Do those details match for your grandmother's parents?
...to which you answered 'no'

....but I didnt think you knew who grandmother's parents were? So how do you know it doesnt match?

If you DO know who they were, then please tell us as it will help greatly!
But I dont see from the posts here that you can know, there was i thought even doubt about the next geenration, probably Alice Maud .....   and only when that is confirmed can you get the right birth cert and find the parents of hopefully both her and of her mssing brother.
But if I am wrong and more is known (FOR SURE, not assumption on based on possible index entries only)  please please put what info is known here!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk