Author Topic: WW1 records confusion..  (Read 15964 times)

Offline Borley Manor

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 records confusion..
« Reply #27 on: Friday 15 January 10 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi, firstly, thank you all for your very helpful comments, it is appreciated a great deal.
The requested info as I have it...

My mother shares the same name as my grandmother i.e. Alice Maude, with an E, she is most adamant about the E. My mother had two brothers and one sister, making for reference points on the BMD records. Where applicable, the mothers maiden name is on the records as Stainer. I have assumed this to be correct. Although my mother told me Staines, this is written, not very well, on the back of an early photo, it is easily misconstrued as being either, but the record evidence negates Staines. The lack of name proof is evidenced by the extant uncle and my mother, neither knowing her maiden name, just hearsay, they are both very old as well.
When I found this out, I began trawling through the BMD's for a Alice Maude Staines, and only found the one in 1889. Despite the rather feeble information from my mother, I assumed this to be the one. I sent off for the cert copy and the dates are incorrect, as my grandmother, now I find out from my mother, was born in July and not in April as the copy shows...
I remained undaunted at this point, but a little tired...

It was during a telephone conversation with my mother about all the above, when I asked if she remembered anything else, and the William memory came up, she asked who was in the picture, and was told her (grandmothers) brother who drowned at sea. I then posted on here for a William John Stainer, as this name was the only William Stainer I could find on the BMD's, the rest is in earlier posts...

After the trace of a Richard William George Stainer drowning on the C11 submarine by mmm45, I put that name into the BMD's and came up trumps it would seem. On the  1891 census, I found the Stainer family, from Shaftesbury as indicated, there is a Maud Stainer, plus a William Stainer and others, but not utilizing any of their first names i.e. Alice and Richard et al. I got greedy and perused the entire history in the census returns and found seemingly thousands of Stainers, all born in and around Shaftesbury.

In the 1871 census, it shows a Frederick Stainer being 5 years of age, he is also of the same family, and a brother to the Richard who drowned. I think, and supported by a gut feeling, that he is the father of the incorrectly purchased birth certificate of the other Alice Maud Ethel Stainer in 1889, as evidenced on the cert copy.

By comparing names and offspring names in the census returns, a pretty convincing picture emerges. I know I need to prove all this, and I am buying the copy cert's as soon as possible now, it's a shame that it's so expensive, but, thats life and death....

Reading this back, it sounds such a tentative story, I do hope it makes sense, but, my paternal family tree is even worse, it is almost like I was the generation that learnt to talk first to each other.... ::)

Thanks again to you all..
reg
Seward (Linc'shire) (W. London)
Stainer  (Dorset)
Harker  (Cumbria)

Offline Borley Manor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 15 January 10 21:29 GMT (UK) »
sailor second row in the middle looks like he wants to rip someones head off  :)

I've looked through a few more records but not found anything enlightening yet

James

The young chap just above the strangler in the middle, looks so much like my mother when she is young in her photo's, it is strangely eerie, maybe, just maybe..
Stainer  (Dorset)
Harker  (Cumbria)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 15 January 10 22:50 GMT (UK) »
When and where did your grandma die?

Did you ever meet her,to narrow the date down.
Did she always stay around Shaftesbury?

What was your grandad's name,when did he die?

Just so we can get a handle on some facts here  ;D

And then Liz and I will be raring to go  8)

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Borley Manor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 15 January 10 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi, this is so good and indulgent of you all, I can only thank you all again...

Grandfather: Harry Musgrave Harker
b) Armathwaite Cumberland 18.3.1880. registered Penrith, Cumberland.
Ref 10b 460 Page 240 april/june quarter, obviously registered later than birth.
I have traced his history back to the late 1700's.

Grandmother (fingers crossed, but pretty sure) : Alice Maude Stainer
b) Shaftesbury (environs) Dorset. 29.7.1884.
Ref  5a 226 Page 504 Jul/Sept quarter.

Marriage (both):  Ref 5a 417 Page 193 Jul/Sept quarter 1914 at Salisbury.

Both died at Ipswich Suffolk  1968, I think she died July and he followed in September, but I cannot yet be sure, I need to prove it..weekdays in Ipswich are very rare for me to do, also daytime telephoning is difficult..

Is this any help, I don't know what is useful to experts, all I have is now on this thread I think   ???
reg
Stainer  (Dorset)
Harker  (Cumbria)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 15 January 10 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Right then have just PM'd you exactly that,as I presume your mum is still alive and I didn't want t post her info on the boards

Carol

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 15 January 10 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Alice M Harker died Ipswich in the Sept 1/4 of 1968 aged 83
Harry M Harker also died Ipswich in the Sept 1/4 of 1968 age 88

Carol

Offline Finder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 16 January 10 00:53 GMT (UK) »
hi Reg, going back to the picture & possible family resemblance, a few years ago I met a cousin of my wifes & was astounded how much he looked like her family, so your hunch on the sailor in question might not be so far fetched

James

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 16 January 10 02:29 GMT (UK) »
On the  1891 census, I found the Stainer family, from Shaftesbury as indicated, there is a Maud Stainer, plus a William Stainer and others, but not utilizing any of their first names i.e. Alice and Richard et al.

Hi Reg

Could you tell us the reference details for this census entry as I can't find it on Ancestry. I hadn't found Alice Maude on either the 1891 or 1901 census and had wondered whether her mother had perhaps remarried and whether William was a step brother and not a Stainer.

A copy of the marriage certificate would give you the father of Alice Maude and then a copy of the 1884 birth certificate would confirm this and give you her mothers maiden name. 

Curiously there is also a registration for a Bessie Blanche STAINER with the same registration details as Alice Maude.  This could be two Stainer families registering their daughters close enough together to be on the same page, or that Alice & Bessie were twins. I have found Bessie in both the 1891 and 1901 censuses and in neither case is she with family.

Andy

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 16 January 10 04:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Reg

I've found the 1891 census you were referring to also the 1881 and 1901 censuses.

1881 census  RG11 Piece 2076 Folio 64 Page 1,   Shaftesbury Rd,  Donhead St Mary

Richard STAINER 28
Sarah 29
John 5
Edith 3
Harriet 9 mths

1891 Census  RG12  Piece 1627 Folio 19 Page 11   East Knoyle

Richard J STAINER   37  ( STAINES on Ancestry)
Sarah  38
John 15
Aida  14  (Edith?)
Rose 12 (Harriet Rosina?)
Ellen 9  (Sarah Ellen?)
Maud 7  (Alice Maude?)
William 4 (Richard William G?)
Beatrice 18mths (Beatrice Annie?)

1901 census  RG13  Piece 1960  Folio 51 Page 7  Donhead St Mary

Richard J STAINER 47
Sarah 48
Rose 21
William 13
Beatrice 11
Winifred 6 (Winifred Daisy?)
Lily 3 (Lily Ada E?)

Richard William G STAINER birth registered Dec Qtr 1887 Mere Reg District which includes East Knoyle which is the birthplace of William STAINER in the 1891 census so it does look like Richard William G is the brother of Alice Maude

Andy