Author Topic: Richardson - Kingsclere / Ashmansworth c1865  (Read 2111 times)

Offline nyflint

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richardson - Kingsclere / Ashmansworth c1865
« on: Wednesday 13 January 10 19:55 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find yet another relative - so far without luck.
John Richardson was my Great Grandfather.
The 1871 census gives B.1865, Ashmansworth.
Parents William (B. circa 1840 Berkshire or Wiltshire) and Mary Ann Alder (B.circa 1839).
I can find no birth record for John on FreeBMD or IGI records.
Help please  :)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Richardson - Kingsclere / Ashmansworth c1865
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Is this the same Richardson family as in your previous post?  They are a problem aren't they?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,428967.msg2937868.html#msg2937868

Unfortunately - although Civil reg was introduced in 1837 - failure to register a birth only became a "fineable" offence in 1875.  As a result, many births were  not registered
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline nyflint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Same lot, yes.
Perhaps I can do a work around on this one then and find other (hopefully) registered siblings.
Would there be a christening record anywhere do you think? That would help.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Usually - a birth cert is bought to find out the mothers maiden name so that the right marriage can be found.  In this case you already have that info so I wonder what is to be gained apart from possibly finding his actual birth date

A large number of baptismal entries only have a christening date so even if one is found - it may not give any more info than you already have
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline nyflint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 January 10 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you
Yes I was only expecting to find an approximate pre date period through the baptismal records.
I have checked other siblings and it appears my Greatgrandparents were rather remiss when it came to christenings.
It wouldn't make any difference if they were Catholic, Methodist or Quaker would it? I assume all records are recorded in the same register.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 January 10 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi

If his parents had registered his birth as per the 1837 requirements, then his religion would not have affected it appearing on the GRO index

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 03:44 GMT (UK) »
It appears John's birth was probably in close proximity to his parents' marriage in 4Q 1864. 

In 1861 I have reason to believe [see * below] his mother was in Kingsclere Workhouse, chargeable to Ashmansworth, with Timothy aged 7.  Next child Tom was registered 1Q 1863 in Kingsclere District and, from John Lewis's website, it appears he was born in the workhouse.  Unfortunately, the workhouse births register held at HRO does not commence until 1866 and it's an unfortunate coincidence[?] that the ledger containing the indoor relief lists between late-1861 to 1864 is missing from the sequence.  However, there is a slim chance of a mention in the next ledger PL5/7/32 depending on whether it commences quarter or half-year ended Mar 1865.  I find these documents fascinating so I'd be happy to add this to my 'to do' list if you are unable to visit HRO.

* The 1861 return lists inmates by initials but I correlated the indoor relief list ended March 1861 with the initials and, together with chargeable parishes, identified the vast majority.
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nyflint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 18:18 GMT (UK) »
This is quite fascinating. I have Timothy Alder's birth certificate which provides the following information.
Born, 25 Sep 1853, Ashmansworth, Hampshire. His death appears to be on 15 May 1928, so despite a poor start he lived a reasonably long life.

Incidentally, and 150 years on, I live in a little cottage (one of a row 7 former Poor Houses so listed in 1850)!

I really would appreciate some help with the Richardsons. They're a
proving a difficult lot to get a geographical fix on and work, distance and available time limit my research to being purely on line.

If you happen upon any earlier information regarding William his father that would be really useful as currently I cant get back pre circa 1830-40's.

Thank you for the information, I look forward to hearing more  :)

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 22:07 BST (UK) »
I repeat my reply in the Wiltshire Forum in order to update the Hampshire research:

I can now confirm that Mary Ann RICHARDSON [nee ALDER] did not feature in the Kingsclere Union Indoor Relief Lists for the half-years ended March 1865 and Sept 1865.

Ashmansworth Baptism No 415
25 Jun 1865 John RICHARDSON son of William & Mary Ann of Ashmansworth, Labourer
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk