Author Topic: Arthur Leslie Somerfield  (Read 4664 times)

Offline robdaphunk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Arthur Leslie Somerfield
« on: Thursday 14 January 10 09:06 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any info about the father of Arthur Leslie Somerfield who was born Nov 1902 in Staffordshire.. I have his marriage certificate but it has father unknown on it.. His mother was Elizabeth Somerfield and she moved to Canada in 1912 leaving Arthur here with an Aunt... Family rumour is that the father was a local 'Gentleman'..... And as Elizabeth was a servant it wasn't the done thing so kept quiet...
Any info would be great
Thanks
Rob

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur Leslie Somerfield
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 January 10 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob,
If his mother went to Canada in 1912 she should be in the 1911 census which may give you a clue where she was employed.
 Not a very helpful suggestion but can't think of other strategies.

charlotte

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 January 10 10:17 GMT (UK) »
You could order his birth certificate it would give you the address his mother was living at

Dec 1/4 1902 Walsall 6b 781

Though saying that the only Elizabeth Somerfield in Walsall on the 1901 census who would fit a 1902 birth is b 1884 Walsall parents James and Rosa

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 January 10 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi birth cert wouldn't show where she had been working I'd guess... when she became pregnant you can bet she was sent away from where the father was, if the rumour is true.

1901 census more likely to show where she had worked prior to the birth.

charlotte

Offline madabout

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 January 10 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob

it looks like Arthur Leslie Somerfield was registered just under the surname Somerfield. So the father wasn't present at registration.
sadly unless you have more family info. I doubt if you can find the name of the father.
the aunt & uncle Arthur Leslie Somerfield lived with had no children of their own so hopefully he looked on them as his 'parents'

Pat
Goulds of Sheffield, Thursfields of Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Archers of Smisby, Ropes of Earsham/Eastwood, Hursts of Dukinfield/Stalybridge/Kingsbury, Andrew roller makers of Stalybridge/Dukinfield.

Offline robdaphunk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 January 10 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi, this is all the family info I have.. I can't actually find Elizabeth on any census after 1881...?!?

Elizabeth was born in 1880 in Walsall and lived on New St, Walsall... She had 3 siblings George b1874, Harriet b1876 & Mary A b1878 and maybe a 4th called Betsy born c1889 and a 5th called Edith born c1879, as these are who Arthur is living with in the 1911 census... Elizabeths mother was called either Mary, Ann or Myra... She is called something different on all records I have for her. And her father was called Isaiah....

Arthur had no siblings, he was born Nov 1902, married in 1921 and died 1972.. Elizabeth left for Canada in 1914 (sorry not 1912)..

My grandmother who was Arthur grand-daughter originally told me she thought Elizabeth may have worked in a big house, maybe some kind of an estate or something... But she recently told me she thinks she may have worked in a biscuit factory and had a secret affair with the owner...
Whoever the father was he also kept up with some kind of child maintenance payments until Arthur was a working man...apparently

Offline baggies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 January 10 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi i have been researching the Somerfield family who lived in new street and my great grandmother was betsy ann who was isaiah's daughter and sister of elizabeth, mary,harriet and george.betsy also had a son out of wedlock and we have no record of his father.we know betsy was also in service in birmingham.if i find out any information on elizabeth i will let you know.

Offline robdaphunk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 07:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi i have been researching the Somerfield family who lived in new street and my great grandmother was betsy ann who was isaiah's daughter and sister of elizabeth, mary,harriet and george.betsy also had a son out of wedlock and we have no record of his father.we know betsy was also in service in birmingham.if i find out any information on elizabeth i will let you know.

Hi baggies, do you know who Edith Annie Vincent was as she was living with Betsy on the 1911 census. Betsy is noted down as sister in law to the head of the household who is Ernest Aslley Vincent.. Arthus Leslie Somerfield is also living there as nephew to the head of household....

Edith is 32 on the census meaning she must have been born approx 1879....

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi all  :)

I can't actually find Elizabeth on any census after 1881...?!?

Isn't she at home with her parents in 1891 as Lizzie? RG12/2248 134 10

There's a possible(?) candidate at Erdington in 1901: RG13/2875 141 10
Elizabeth Summerfield, servant,  age 21, born Staffordshire not known
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk