Author Topic: The Kennedys of Northumberland  (Read 16721 times)

Offline DJH

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Kennedys of Northumberland
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 16 January 10 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan,
Thanks again. By this time William was second coachman at North Seaton Hall where he met my Great Grandmother, Sarah Forster who was a kitchen maid.
I am trying to find a way now to trace William's grandfather Thomas back to find out where and when he was born?
David

Offline attani

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 10 July 11 11:48 BST (UK) »
We must be related (same great grandfathers) Mary Kennedy vanishes until 1881 where she appears married to Thomas Greaves. Thomas died in Para, Brazil, as did his daughter Sarah who married James Hislop in Para, they died 1900 and 1902 repectively

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 10 July 11 15:41 BST (UK) »
There are only a few Thomas Kennedy marriages in Northumberland and only to one Mary--the most likely candidate for father is Thomas Kennedy and marries Mary Swan in Stamfordham 15 Oct 1815

I will see what else I have in my stacks of records

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 10 July 11 16:09 BST (UK) »
Stamfordhan baptisms:

Mary Swan baptised 15 Oct 1797 d/o Robert Swan, Mason, of Stamfordham and his wife Jane

And why it is always a good idea to look for siblings especially if they might be born during the Barrington period:  Eleanor Swan 2 Nov 1800 and baptised 30 Nov 1800 2nd daughter of Robert Swan, Mason, of Stamfordham by his wife Jane Atkinson native of Hexham Parish

Burial:  Robert Swan, age 38, Mason died 6 Oct 1802, buried 8 Oct 1802
            Jane Swan, age 40, widow of Robert Mason, died 6 July 1806, buried 9 July 1806

The only reference I could find to anyone named Kennedy in Rothbury up to 1812 was a burial.  I dont have any Catholic records for Rothbury, nothing in the Presbyterian records

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb

Offline attani

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 10 July 11 20:47 BST (UK) »
Marriage register gives Thomas KENNADY of Embleton. I have no further trace. Earlier records seem to use Kennady rather than Kennedy

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 10 July 11 22:18 BST (UK) »
I don't think it matters whether Kennedy or Kennady--both are pronounced the same

The 1st daughter Mary Forster was buried in Woodhorn 28 Dec 1832, age 7 of Newbiggin

Janis

Offline attani

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 10 July 11 22:42 BST (UK) »
I know

Offline Kennedy Ontario

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 03 October 11 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hello,

We're researching our Kennedy family from London, Ontario, Canada, which leads us to Northumberland, England. 

Hugh Kennedy b. 1791 England, (likely Northumberland) d. 1864 Birr, Middlesex County, Ontario, Canada Buried: St. George's Anglican Cemetery, Middlesex County, Ontario, Canada

Hugh Kennedy immigrated to Canada abt 1820 where he married Mary Dixon the month of March 1820 Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada (north of Toronto).  They went on to have ten children.

The spelling of the surname Kennedy on Hugh's headstone is Kennady.  We also see the same spelling of his surname on his Will / Probate.

Our family has always been told that Hugh came from a community in the northern part of Northumberland.

Any leads on his parents and siblings welcomed.

Regards,
Dan Kennedy
London, Ontario
Canada

Offline attani

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 07 January 12 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Update to Thomas Kennedy.

Having discovered Thomas changes his age every census

1841 = 50
1851 = 63
1861 = 80

I found his death details as SEP 1867 age 82 Castle Ward, (Nbland) and found a LDS match for 1785.

His marriage entry gives Embleton, but this is his residence at the time of marriage and the 1851 census gives Rothbury. The match is for Harbottle Presbyterian Church, Northumberland, within a couple of miles of Rothbury town. See PDF

I have encountered Hugh's name a couple of times by accident, but have no record. Will make notes if I find it again.