Author Topic: Leslie  (Read 1041 times)

Offline jayjay1974

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Leslie
« on: Thursday 14 January 10 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,anybody help me finding my paternal father?
I've recently come upon some information that he grew up in the Broughty Ferry area of Dundee.
He was in the Navy at the time of my birth in 1974.
His full name was Brian Flemming Leslie,not sure on the spelling of Flemming.
Any help would be greatly appreciated,next step is a private eye,don't want to go down that expensive route just yet.
Thank you

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Leslie
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 January 10 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to RootsChat. :)

There are lots of records available for you to use to find your father, but we must tread carefully if you believe your father is still living. We are not allowed to discuss living people on the forum for obvious reasons, but we can give pointers to where you can find information.

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk ScotlandsPeople is the official website for Scottish birth, marriage and death records. Indexes for each are up to 2006 and for the time period you are looking for, you will need to order the images using the site (they cost £10 each).

http://www.192.com/ is also useful for tracking down living people. They have recent electoral rolls, but it does cost to get exact information. However, it may help in narrowing down some possibles, etc.

If you are searching your father's full name, it may be useful to use a wildcard on his middle name, so Flem* to include both Fleming and Flemming.

hume :)

Offline jayjay1974

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Leslie
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 January 10 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the pointers Hume,will tread carefully.