Author Topic: Lydia Drake Chilleystone - COMPLETED THANKS  (Read 6615 times)

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lydia Drake Chilleystone
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 January 10 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for your replies.  She was born in Wayland.  It is the Chilleystone bit that's bothering me.

Joseph James Beales and Lydia Drake had four childen (that I know of) all born in Wayland -  Oswald Powell 1902, Sydney James 1904, Florence Irena M 1908 and Myrtle Hilda 1912 - and the mother's maiden name is Drake - no mention of Chilleystone so it took me a while to find the marriage.

I don't understand.  She was registered as Chilleystone at birth in 1873 and then she was Drake which sort of rules out a a marriage to a Chilleystone.

I will have a look at all the census' you have suggested.  I think I need to order some certificates too.  The Chilleystone connection must have come from her parents as she was a Chilleystone at birth.

Appreciate your help.

Luzzu

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 15 January 10 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi all  :)

In 1891, dad Thomas (seen as Drake in 1881) is called Thomas Drake Chillyston RG12/1549 104 2
Also in 1901 RG13/1867 104 1

"My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 15 January 10 10:54 GMT (UK) »
RG9/1238 97 7
Rockland St Peter

Thomas Drake, head, wid, 60, Ag lab, b. Rockland St Peter
Charlotte Chilly, housekeeper, unm, 56, b. Wortham Suffolk
Sophia Chilly, dau, unm, 24, b. Rockland St Peter
Thomas Chilly, son, 16, Team Man, b. do.
May Ann Chilly, dau, 11, scholar, b. do.
Alice Chilly, gd dau, 3 weeks, b. do.

Thoas Drake and Charlotte Chilly already live together in 1841 HO107/785/22 5 4

I'm afraid of no ghost

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 15 January 10 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Tati.  Can't seem to get my head round this, this morning.  So are we saying that Lydia's father is the illegitimate son of Charlotte Chilly, the unmarried housekeepter but that Thomas Drake senior is the father?

???

Luzzu

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 January 10 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Well, it seems a possible explanation to me.

Birth
Thomas Chilastone - Dec 1844 Wayland 13 344

Marriage
Thomas Drake Chileystone - Elizabeth Carter Dec 1870 Wayland 4b 682

Not sure why Charlotte and children are down as Chilley on the censuses - the children seem to all have been registered as Chilleystone or variants.

I'm afraid of no ghost

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 15 January 10 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Tati,

I think thats what I'll work on.  May be the chap writing the census got side tracked and just wrote Chilly instead of Chillystone  ::).

The son has incorporated his father's name otherwise it would have been lost forever.  I know it was common for a son to be registered with their mother's maiden name as a middle name in order to carry it on in the family and this seems to be along the same lines.

Thanks everyone - the Rootschatters never let me down when I have a puzzle to solve.

:D

Luzzu

Offline Blue-Spirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 15 January 10 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Thats an interesting one, as i thought the name Chillystone was a little unusal to the area, when searching through my list of photographed readable head stones i did find a William Chilly who died Jan 20th 1884 aged 84 in Rockland All Saints..not sure if that's of any use.
1881 census shows many Chillystones in Rockland St Peter, WAYLAND area.

RG9/1238 97 7
Rockland St Peter

Thomas Drake, head, wid, 60, Ag lab, b. Rockland St Peter
Charlotte Chilly, housekeeper, unm, 56, b. Wortham Suffolk
Sophia Chilly, dau, unm, 24, b. Rockland St Peter
Thomas Chilly, son, 16, Team Man, b. do.
May Ann Chilly, dau, 11, scholar, b. do.
Alice Chilly, gd dau, 3 weeks, b. do.

Thoas Drake and Charlotte Chilly already live together in 1841 HO107/785/22 5 4
Researching My Family in Norfolk.
Barker-Barnard-Brooks-Bush.
Eagling-Fincham-Goddard-Gooch.
Hammond-Johnson-Long.
Musk-Mickleborough/Mickleburgh.
Oakley- Parker-Potter-Smith-Wright...

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 16 January 10 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Blue Spirit.  I will look out for a connection to William.  Appreciate you posting.

:D

Luzzu

Offline Lauren000ful

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lydia Drake Chilleystone - COMPLETED THANKS
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 27 October 11 15:45 BST (UK) »
Hi - Lydia was the daughter of Charlotte Chilleystone (1805-1884) and her common-law husband Thomas Drake (1807).  You will find them and their children on all the Censuses from 1851-1881, living in Chapel Street, Rockland St. Peter, Norfolk.
They had 7 children (Thomas Drake had 1 living child from previous marriage. He was widowed twice, but never married Charlotte). Some of their children use the name Chilleystone/Chilly-Drake and some Drake.  All of the children of Charlotte Chilleystone and common-law husband Thomas were baptised in the Church of St. Peter, Rockland St. Peter with the name 'Chilleystone' and their births registered under the name of 'Chilleystone'.
If you subscribe to ancestry.co.uk, you can see my Chillistone Family Tree which is viewable to anyone. Note how the spelling of the name has changed.
Lauren