Author Topic: What's my next move? <-- new info & question  (Read 6231 times)

Offline Ceryswyn

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What's my next move? <-- new info & question
« on: Friday 15 January 10 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Board!

I have just received some certificates that confirm a particular area of my tree that puts my Ancestors births in Ireland.

I have a couple William Scully and Ann Cope that were both born in Ireland according to UK census's etc.
They had one daughter in Ireland, Catherine b. abt 1859 and then the next child Thomas Henry b. 1862 in Sunderland, England.

I cannot find the family on the 1861 census but I can find them on the 1871 census which indicated they moved from Ireland to England sometime between the census taking 1861 and Nov 1862. however Scully is easily mis-transcribed so it's possible they moved a year or two earlier.

My problem however is that on none of the documents I've found do they state anything other than Ireland as place of birth so I have no clue where in Ireland I would be looking. Plus I don't have any experience with Irish Ancestors at this time so I'm wondering if anyone can give me any suggestions of where to go from here.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Helen
Gilbert ~ London, Essex.
Nutt ~ Sussex England, Ayrshire Scotland, Ireland.
Scully, Richards, Stepney, Goble ~ Sussex.
James ~ London, Essex, Sussex, Pembrokeshire.
Lochhead ~ Ayrshire/ Nielston Renfrewshire Scotland.
Dunn, Airdry/Airdrie ~ Ayrshire Scotland, Donaghadee Ireland.
McCreadie, McQuaters/McWaters ~ Ireland
More to follow.

Offline greenpaula

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: What's my next move?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 January 10 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen,
I have exactly the same problem with several ancestral families and without their County of origin you have a major headache! One suggestion I can make is to get every single census (if you haven't already done so) with them on - very occasionally a census enumerator records their county of origin and when you see that the feeling is fantastic (even though you may then hit another brickwall when you can't find them in Ireland!)
You could also try to find the Counties where the names of Scully and Cope are most common, then try those Counties for their marriage. It's not cheap though researching Irish records! I can't remember the site where you can do this so I'll need to look it up unless another Chatter gives it to you first.
Don't give up - you will get loads of help on this site  :)
Hoey, McLuskey - Scotland & Ireland. Eckersley, Rogerson - Lancashire. McGee - Ireland, Lancashire. Barnes - Bolton, Lancs

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 January 10 19:15 GMT (UK) »
You could try  http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/  and just put in the surname, then do a search, if you get a pile of  records you can then select 100 records per page and then click sorted by county to see where the nameswere most prominent...Select "Show all information" will even reveal religion etc!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline greenpaula

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 January 10 19:49 GMT (UK) »
I've found the site I mentioned in an earlier reply.
You put in the surname and it comes up with spread of that name, plus where you have a spouse's surname you can put that in too. Hopefully it may give you an idea where to look http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/

Good luck

Hoey, McLuskey - Scotland & Ireland. Eckersley, Rogerson - Lancashire. McGee - Ireland, Lancashire. Barnes - Bolton, Lancs

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 January 10 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen-
I have been researching my Irish ancestors for a few years now - I have to say it is very "challenging".  One suggestion I have which may dovetail with greenpaula's suggestion.  Were William Scully & Paula Cope still alive & enumerated on the 1911 census?  I struggled for many years with my 2x great-grandmother, Margaret.  I knew the family was from Co. Derry in Northern Ireland - but try as I might I could find no information for Margaret in the Parish registers, nor any marriage entry. ( I was lucky enough to know the town where my 2x great-grandfather & great-grandfather were from).  I assumed Margaret was from the same place.  After the death of her husband she moved to England and lived with her son.  On the release of the 1911 Census - it had recorded the following information about her:  how many years she had been married, number of children she had had (6, I only knew about 3 of them) and her County of birth - County Tyrone!  I now have a better idea of which years to concentrate on to look for a marriage cert. and
am at least I am a step closer to narrowing down a parish in order to try and track down her marriage to John, then perhaps proceed and try and ascertain where she was born.  I am ever hopeful!!

Personally, I would start by trying to establish their religion, and then ascertain whether you will be looking for the couple in the Republic or in N.I. The suggested Surname search should be very helpful in that area. Try this website for a surname search http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/index.htm
It may be of help.

I know it really is tricky, its almost like looking for a needle in a haystack.
All the best :)

[You may not have found them on the 1861 Census as they may have travelled to Sunderland via Scotland, many did! ]

Offline Gem71

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 January 10 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Could i add one more thing to what what has already being said.

Have a look at other Irish people in that Census area.

Irish people were very clannish and many would emigrate to a specific area where the had relatives or neighbours there.
You may just get lucky and find one of them gave the name of a  county, this could be you starting point.
Lots of luck.

Gem71

Offline Marc Mc Namara

• RootsChat Member
  • Cumara
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 January 10 19:37 GMT (UK) »

I have a couple William Scully and Ann Cope that were both born in Ireland according to UK census's etc.
They had one daughter in Ireland, Catherine b. abt 1859 and then the next child Thomas Henry b. 1862 in Sunderland, England.

Hi Helen,  Welcome to the head ache of finding Irish Family!

I have had a look on the FAMILY SEARCH site and cannot see any credible records as they all have deaths associated with them!

That said, i do feel that with the info you have, i would submit a request to the GRO in Roscommon and ask for a five year search on the marriage - i think that as you have solid parent names they would be able to identify the record albeit for a small additional charge.

I find them very helpful, particularly if you annotate any other info you have that helps the researcher with clues!!
Marc

McNamara - Dublin             Comiskey - Dublin
Flynn - Dublin                    Dennison - Dublin
Keyes - Limerick / Dublin     Nestor- Limerick
Cunningham / Byrne - Tullamore      
Hogan - Limerick                 McCormack- Dublin
Moody - Dublin                  
Moore - Armagh                  Daly - Armagh

Offline Ceryswyn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 January 10 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It gives me a lot to start with and hopefully in the process I'll learn more about that side of generation digging!
Gilbert ~ London, Essex.
Nutt ~ Sussex England, Ayrshire Scotland, Ireland.
Scully, Richards, Stepney, Goble ~ Sussex.
James ~ London, Essex, Sussex, Pembrokeshire.
Lochhead ~ Ayrshire/ Nielston Renfrewshire Scotland.
Dunn, Airdry/Airdrie ~ Ayrshire Scotland, Donaghadee Ireland.
McCreadie, McQuaters/McWaters ~ Ireland
More to follow.

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 January 10 19:38 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure that the GRO can help - I don't see any marriage matching William Scully and Anne Cope on the family search site. (better check that yourself!).

And it looks as if Catherine was born before Registration started ... so it has to be Parish Records

eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow