Author Topic: Who & where was the father?  (Read 12965 times)

Offline AnnF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Who & where was the father?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 March 05 09:31 GMT (UK) »
What a great site this is!!! And How kind the contributors. I did find the death entry for James in 1844 & thought I might have to rethink. But you have confirmed Fizzy, my 'instinct' was wrong!! Will now pursue the 'new ' James.  Thank you all for the advice - Will let you know the out come.  Ann

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 March 05 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Yes at least you have two others to look at so still some hope. Some of these ancestors are so elusive.

Also remember there may be more "hidden" James Toms. Altho civil reg started in 1837, compulsory reg didnt come until much later.

Good Luck,
Fizzy
Cornwall - Mutton Brown Trevethan Mugford Higham
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 March 05 11:49 GMT (UK) »
James Toms 1841 St Ives (reg : Penzance) his father WAS a mariner but his name was Edward not Anthony.

James Toms 1841 Looe (reg : Liskeard) his father wasnt an Anthony either.

Perhaps Anthony was a second name which the father adopted as his first. Anthony was a pop name in Cornwall at the time. My great grandfather and his son were both called Anthony.

Fizzy
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline AnnF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 March 05 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Ah well! Back to the drawing board! I notice that you are researching in Yorkshire - where I live. If I can be of any help - let me know Best wishes A.

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 18 March 05 22:28 GMT (UK) »
I am happy now that the place is Tintagel as of old apparently it was called Dintagell and if you look at the word on the census and use your phonetic knowledge and take a "u" as a badly formed "n" then you have it........dendadgoel....... My next question is how do you know you have the right marriage certificate if the 1861 census, when she wasnt married, says Elizabeth Hocking was born in London and the 1871 census says she was born in Lostwithiel ? Do you have the right Elizabeth ? Is the Padstow James really the one you are looking for ? Were there other James of the right period who married an Elizabeth ? I have been caught out that way with some of my family thinking I have the right couple and then finding some more possibilities......... If it is the wrong certificate then Anthony Tom will be wrong too. Can I ask you for the names of the witnesses ?

This is a very interesting quest.......

Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline AnnF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 18 March 05 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Witnesses - Henry Harding & Mary Randell - Starting from 1871 census. looked for Elzabeth Ann b. Padstow 1865. B.cert parents  James Toms/ Elizabeth nee Hocking.
Couldn't find any Eliz. Hocking b Lostwithiel. Finally found an entry for Eliz. b. Stratford (then Essex but London really) Cert showed F.William H. tailor m. Catherine Pascoe both from Lostwithiel. She was b. 1842 - 29 in1871. Assume she thought she was b Lostwithiel as all family came from there.  Mother & 2 other daughters back Lanlivery1861 census widow. Eliz. not living with them. She in Padstow? More confirmation- recently  found mother living in Croydon  with one of the other daughters in the same road as James & Elizabeth. Coincidence?!Even though James said he was b. Tintagel - like Eliz. maybe he wasn't. More tomorrow - Bedtime!

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 19 March 05 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Yes that thought had crossed my mind. There was a James Toms born 1838 Mevagissey father was John Thomas Toms. Perhaps they called him Tommy and when James had to put his name on the marr cert he said his father was called "Uh Tommy Tom" and this was recorded as Anthony Tom. Sounds daft ???? Yes but then look at the spelling of Tintagel !!!! If you say "Uh Tommy" broadly enough (which I qualify to do as I live down yer) it does sound like Anthony.

Padstow is directly north of Mevagissey as is Lostwithiel so it is a possibility that James and Eliz went to work in service there.

Fizzy
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline AnnF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 19 March 05 10:20 GMT (UK) »
H! He! He!- Like it! What stikes me as strange is  that neither of his sons are called Anthony. 1. is John Henry - 2. William James. Trouble is  don't know exactly when he was b. Accord. census  could have been any time  from  1838 -1841-1845! Extracted all Tom/s from Corn 1841 census(I hope) But no James of abt right age except 1 St. Martin by Looe - F. John mJemima James 4mos. No Anthony's!Haven't got access to 1851 not complete'net'. Next bit of saga to follow! A.

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 19 March 05 12:36 GMT (UK) »
The Mevagissey one would have been the right age.

Yes I thought it was rather strange that there was no Anthony. Is the marriage certificate a photocopy or has the SReg written it out. I am just wondering if it is anything other than Anthony.

Where was James Henry born ?

That witness Henry Harding was in 1881 the owner of the Padstow stationery shop.

Fizzy
Yorkshire - Thirlwall