Author Topic: ***LMA/Ancestry "Missing" Parishes***  (Read 76836 times)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ***LMA/Ancestry "Missing" Parishes***
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 21 April 11 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynn

Please start a new request on the London & Middlesex Look-up request board.

I'm sure someone will be able to help you out.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Ros50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 06 May 11 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Has anyone else noticed that there's a mix-up in the recently-indexed parts of the Ancestry London Parishes database - the records up to 1812 - between St Botolph ALDGATE and St Botolph ALDERSGATE?  I was looking at a record which claimed to be ALDERSGATE the other night and all the addresses were Hounsditch, Minories, etc.  It was clearly ALDGATE.  Where the original register and the neat copy have both been indexed, you can often find the same baptism or burial apparently taking place at both churches on the same day! 

Unfortunately the name of the parish often isn't given at the top of each page, and the front page of the book I was looking at (where it would say which parish it was) hadn't been included in the on-line images, so I couldn't just go to image 1 to sort it out.  Fortunately it was a page where the addresses were given - they aren't always - and I have a London map. 

This is quite a serious blooper, cos Aldgate and Aldersgate aren't close to each other, and the implications for finding an ancestor in Aldgate are quite different from finding one in Aldersgate.  Ancestry really needs to double-check all their Aldgate and Aldersgate designations. 

Ros

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 09 June 11 08:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

Not the easiest LMA leaflets to find (either via the LMA or Ancestry) but extremely useful

The London Metropolitan Archives Guide for Ancestry users

A to Z of London parishes

By current London borough

https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/family-history/Pages/london-generations.aspx

All the parishes listed and whether they are or are not on Ancestry.

Anything else found on Ancestry in the London parish register collection will be Bishops Transcripts held by the LMA not the actual registers. A useful second resource would be a list of them.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 09 June 11 21:51 BST (UK) »
Sadly, while the LMA leaflet Valda kindly posted claims they are all on ancestry, I can't find the register for St Andrews Enfield covering the period between 1729 and 1769.  This has been missing since the original upload and is frustrating since I know the LMA have the register on film anyway 'cos I've looked at it previously there.   It doesn't appear to be tagged onto the end of other images either as none of the entries I know of appear in the index.

Is there anyway of raising this up to their attention?

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 09 June 11 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Nicola

I know the LMA has a list of missing and mis-indexed parish registers that are in the process of being rectified.

I will ask whether this is on the list and if not can it be added.

Dawn

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 09 June 11 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn

Thanks.  It's been frustrating my research on that line since I came across some new info after my last visit to the LMA and due to health issues, haven't been able to get back down there again since to check it out ::)

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 10 June 11 02:20 BST (UK) »
Dawn

Another parish that has missing years is St Sepulchre, Holborn. The years 1787-1808 for baptisms are missing from Ancestry BMB 1583-1812. They must be around somewhere as some of the names I am looking for do show up on Familysearch.

Ian C

Offline Britgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian, that would explain why I thought I was going crazy last night trying to find some St Sepulchre baptisms from the 1790s on Ancestry, that I'd previously found on the IGI!!

Especially as I knew I'd seen other records from St Sepulchre on Ancestry, and had then found Valda's PDF link, stating that the records were on Ancestry, whilst trying to figure it all out!  ::)

London research is difficult enough without this added hurdle!
Grose - Cornwall
Rice - Devon
Harris - Herefordshire
Bristow - London
Sadler - Yorkshire
Nye - London
Allen - Cornwall
Palmer - Cornwall
Chynoweth - Cornwall
Cowling - Cornwall

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 01:14 BST (UK) »
Unless I'm going completely mad, I can't find any burials for Lambeth St Mary covering the periods 1787-1812, just four registers of baptisms that seem to duplicate the time periods.  I've not checked any of the earlier ones to see how far this goes back.  I haven't been through them completely but chosen random pages across each of the registers and everyone was a baptism.  I wouldn't have though they would have had composite registers that late in that parish anyway.

Just typical when I come across an interesting burial reference on new familysearch that I'd like to see if an age was listed with ::)

Nicola