Author Topic: ***LMA/Ancestry "Missing" Parishes***  (Read 76829 times)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ***LMA/Ancestry "Missing" Parishes***
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 08:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

Definitely there at the back in the 1788-1798 volume (with handwritten index). The Ancestry index brings up burials between 1788- 1797 - nothing beyond between 1798-1812. The period pre 1776 appears to be missing on the Ancestry index but may just not be indexed yet - didn't check the register images. 1741 is indexed as is the period pre 1719.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 20:00 BST (UK) »
OK I'll revise my winge about them. ;D  Valda is correct that there are burials amongst the 1788-1798 register but they are mixed in with baptisms and when I selected a few random pages I did end up on baptisms only.  I wasn't looking just at the index, but going through the actual registers as nothing came up on the index for what I was after.

However, the index is showing, for eg., 1810 burials yet they are actually linked to 1710 images.  So far I can find no post 1798 burials and I was looking for one in 1811.  I've had a quick trawl through both registers for the later period and at present I can only find baptisms, don't have the time to open all 282 pages in one of the registers to see if they are hidden in the middle, although to be honest it's quite likely they are not as it is a very large parish and 282 pages of baptisms for 20 years is probably not unreasonable compared to others I have been through manually

If someone knows where the 1811 burials are, I'd be grateful but I don't think the register has been uploaded ..... ::)

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline taylorwallace

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 02 September 11 20:45 BST (UK) »
Very helpful particularly re the Westminster parishes im my case as I am sure that's where some of my gaps occur.
taylor wallace

Offline suelaw1954

• RootsChat Member
  • Sue, Feb 1955. So cute, what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 11 September 11 07:11 BST (UK) »
Another oddity (or oversight) in the Ancestry indexing/uploading:
Christ Church Spitalfields Marriages 1729-54

According to the LMA catalogue CC Spitalfields ran a separate register of marriages from foundation (1729) to 1761. (P93/CTC1/013 Register of marriages Jul 1729-Sep 1761). When Hardwicke's Act came into force (Mar 1754) they didn't start a new register, they just changed from one line entries to handwriteen Hardwicke entries.

The last 8 pages of this register have been indexed and the images uploaded by Ancestry in the London England Marriages & Banns 1754-1921 database. The pages from 1729 to 1754 seem to have been overlooked in the London, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812 Section. Oooops.

Is there anyway of letting them know?

Sue
Common(s) - Sussex, London, Northumberland
Spall - London, Suffolk (Debenham, Cretingham)
Goddard - Sussex (Brighton, Newtimber, Edburton)
Piller - London, Norfolk
Shadbolt - Herts (Codicote, Datchworth)
Young - Sussex (Brighton)
Rose - Army, London
Beckwith - London, Norfolk

Offline taylorwallace

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 11 September 11 08:43 BST (UK) »
With regard to missing Westminster parishes from the LMA, I went to Westminster Archives last week in the search for missing records but many of the parishes which appear on your helpful list do not seem to have a dedicated index; the index just appears to be "indexed on IGI" so I think it will mean looking at each film to search for errors. Is this correct?
taylor wallace

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 11 September 11 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Taylor Wallace

Not sure I'm clear by what you mean

'I think it will mean looking at each film to search for errors.'

Westminster parishes in general aren't held at the LMA. It is the LMA and Guildhall Library who have the deal with Ancestry, not Westminster archives or any other London borough, as some of them also have parish registers deposited with them e.g. St Paul Hammersmith with Hammersmith and Fulham Archives, though Westminster archives is the major holder of parish registers not found on Ancestry. The Westminster parishes the LMA hold (besides parishes like Marylebone which only became part of the London borough of Westminster in 1965, if you go through the list given you'll see others) are copies - the Bishops Transcripts (yearly copies sent to the Bishop - not always done, not without errors or copied fully, not always survived - so usually only a short run in the C19th surviving). The BTs held at the LMA are on Ancestry nothing else for these parishes since the actual registers are at Westminster archives.

Some of the parishes held at Westminster archives have been indexed by the IGI others have not.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline taylorwallace

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 11 September 11 10:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for clarifying, Valda. I suppose it comes down to always looking at the original register copies rather than transcripts or indexes from whatever source even though I am sure we have all benefitted from the advances made through the LMA/Ancestry link.
tw

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 26 September 11 17:32 BST (UK) »
As far as I can see Bethnal Green St Matthew baptisms are missing on ancestry from after 12 Feb 1843 until 21 May 1854.  That's from looking at the originals NOT just the index.  There is a baptism on the IGI which I've looked at in the original register previously at the LMA for 1848 which doesn't appear at all suggesting they are probably missing rather than just mis-indexed.  ::)

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 26 September 11 18:22 BST (UK) »
They are missing and have been since the beginning and the LMA do know.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea