Author Topic: Why you should always get certificates !  (Read 2355 times)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Why you should always get certificates !
« on: Saturday 16 January 10 13:51 GMT (UK) »
This morning I've just spent two hours wiping out nearly half of my brother-in-law's family tree (...... I must stop doing freebie lookups for people !  ::) ).  I'd started off quite well - I'd got his father and mother's birth certificates, and (from what he told me) we knew that his mother was born in Wokingham, Berks, and that her father's name was William James Smith, who was a corporal in the Royal Berkshire regiment (note - I've changed the name to Smith purely to respect his anonymity).  So, when I found that there was a William James Smith born in Swallowfied, Berkshire, just up the road, this had to be him, right ?  Well, actually NO.

It all started to fall apart when I found another Ancestry member who had this William James Smith in their tree, who insisted that their William James had died in Flanders in WW1, and this William James was a sergeant, not a corporal.  Clearly "my" William James had to be alive in 1920 to father the child.  So, to ensure I found the right William James Smith, I sent for my brother-in-law's maternal grandparents' marriage certificate (fortunately the bride's name was quite unusual, so I knew this was the right one). 

When the certificate arrived, it was immediately apparent that my William James Smith was not from Berkshire at all, but Hampshire (a small village called Stratfield Saye, which I'd never heard of, despite working for a Berkshire-based company for 30 years !).  The certificate showed that "my" William James' father was called George, who was a carter by trade.

So, the arrival of one certificated wiped out all of my research from my brother-in-law's family from his grandfather backwards - just the removal of the wrong people from his tree took forever.

Still the whole thing has reminded me of an important lesson - if your research is important, then back it up with proof !  8)

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Why you should always get certificates !
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 January 10 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Stratfield Saye House in Wellington Country Park was the home of of the Duke of Wellington.  It is situated half way between Reading and Basingstoke just over the Hampshire county boundary.  I am surprised that anyone with an interest in history could work in Berkshire without knowing about it.

Even Google Maps thinks that it is in Berkshire and so it is not surprising that your family was confused.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 January 10 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Well, the head office was in Berkshire, and I used to go there 3 or 4 times a year  :-\

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline Mags23

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 January 10 02:44 GMT (UK) »
I have a few friends/people who once they know this is my hobby ask me to look up their family history, which is OK until a certificate is needed to be sure and suddenly it is of no interest any more, I do like helping people to discover their families but will not pay for certs. that are not from my own trees.  The TV programmes make it look too easy.  Without certs. there is little that can be proved no matter how much we think we know.
Vaulter/Valter/Vauter/Vater - Somerset (Exmoor area)
Quartley, Berry, Bond, Feiven, Fevan, Pasmore, Pugsley, Pool

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 January 10 04:01 GMT (UK) »
You do need certs for post 1837 ancestors...poor you Nick, that's a sad tale :'(

and yes, mags23,  the TV programs do make research look fast and easy... they get my goat because of this. >:(
  Very misleading.
charlotte

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 January 10 09:34 GMT (UK) »
I have a few friends/people who once they know this is my hobby ask me to look up their family history, which is OK until a certificate is needed to be sure and suddenly it is of no interest any more, I do like helping people to discover their families but will not pay for certs. that are not from my own trees.  The TV programmes make it look too easy.  Without certs. there is little that can be proved no matter how much we think we know.

Yes, I agree with you, and I've had the same experiences as you (although I have bought a few certificates for my brother-in-law, as a sort of present).  I think the problem lies with the fact that most people don't understand the mechanics of family tree research, and assume that 95% of it can be done online.  I do have certificates for all the people on the "main lines" in my family tree, although I do wander up the "branch lines" occasionally when I get stuck, to see if I can find any clues  :)

Best Wishes,  Nick.