Author Topic: An elusive death  (Read 11361 times)

Offline pethC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: An elusive death
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 24 January 10 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Further to my earlier reply re deaths in hospital, agree  would be almost certain that F Sheridan is a Hospital representative  (very likely pathologist )who saw the body only after death.

His/her important legal  responsibility would be  independently and formally to complete a form C, cremation form, having checked the identity (at the hospital mortuary) and circumstances of death thus 'allowing the body to be cremated', and the body being released to the undertakers, and for family arrangements to be made.
Certainly your information makes cremation not burial the outcome, and for the bereaved widower ,may have represented a 'release' from earthly suffering for his wife while he concentrated on his family's future?? Though I can understand the feelings of loss of the descendants for  'no specific resting place'apparently.

For this important form filling there would be a professional fee, and the implication that in any further enquiry in court of law eg of medical negligence, foul play he could be questioned .This is in addition to form B completed by a doctor (often quite junior, caring for patient before death occurred in hospital.) All safeguard measures.
(Post Shipman this has added significance....)

Chris

Offline mrnolson

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 24 January 10 11:40 GMT (UK) »
cheers Chris.
it's good to get my head around around the proceedure. There was obviously no foul play so it was just a straight to cremation job.

her death was registered 2 days after she died. do you have any idea how long it would have taken to get her cremated after that? Roughly.

I have been looking at the Westminster City Archives site, who claim to have Cremation records for Hanwell Cemetery up to 1967. Do you reckon it's worth asking?

I just want something official that inicates exatly when and where she was cremated. Regardless of whether there is anything pyhsical to pay respects to.

Kind regards
Elliot

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 24 January 10 12:31 GMT (UK) »

her death was registered 2 days after she died. do you have any idea how long it would have taken to get her cremated after that? Roughly.

Cremation usually takes place about 7-14 days after death- depends on how busy they are and what time of year it is-they're always busier in the winter.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 24 January 10 12:33 GMT (UK) »

I have been looking at the Westminster City Archives site, who claim to have Cremation records for Hanwell Cemetery up to 1967. Do you reckon it's worth asking?

Of course it's worth asking..I always used to tell my kids " if you don't ask ,you don't get" ;D

The worse they can say is no she's not buried here isn't it,and then at least you'd know,and can ask elsewhere.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk