Author Topic: An elusive death  (Read 11363 times)

Offline madpants

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: An elusive death
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 January 10 16:28 GMT (UK) »
I never mentioned undertakers thanks Carol, when I found those words on a cert i searched here and found this thread.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,354563.0.html

Over time I suppose council is what sprang to mind as mine was 1952 and Elliot's 1964
GREENWELL - Middlesbrough
TURNBULL - Houghton le Spring, Coxhoe, Spennymoor
DEVEY - Pentonville, Stockton, M'bro
MOHAN/HUN - Stockton on Tees
SCRAFTON - Darlington
BROADBENT - Saddleworth, Ashton Under Lyne
HEMSWELL - Grantham, M'bro
SIMPKINS - M'bro
SIMPKIN - Little Wratting, Suffolk
MALLALIEU - Saddleworth, Ashton U L
GOODWIN - Macclesfield Forest
SUTCLIFFE - Heptonstall, Ashton U L
PLIMMER - Pontesbury, Ashton U L
CAMBRIDGE - Goulborne, Ashton U L
SIDDALL - Ashton U L

Offline mrnolson

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 January 10 16:31 GMT (UK) »
mmmm. it's an odd one.

there were obviously extenuating circumstances because she lived with her husband and 6 children. Her husband was in the army and they travelled all over the world. They were in Munster in the 1960's and in Singapore prior to that. Freda was known to have been suffering from breast cancer which which apparently spread to her stomach, which ultinately killed her. She had a family. She was army wife as it were. I find it very odd that it was left to someone else to deal with her cremation?

She had a family, both the one she was born into and the one she married into so I find it very odd that she was left to authorties to deal with?

I presume that the husband was occupied in job to a great degree as he split his family up after Freda died. 2 of the boys went to one place, 1 boy and the girls to another, and the newborn was adopted. Pretty drastic. Though it only lasted a year when the new wife brought the family back together again.

Very odd indeed.

Kind regards
Elliot

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 January 10 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Go to the Queen Alexandra Military Hospital (Millbank) website - very informative.

The coroners office may be able to tell you what the M.B. stands for, but could it have been M.D. military doctor?

Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline mrnolson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 January 10 16:50 GMT (UK) »
indeed it is. i spent the best part of an hour reading through everything earlier. ha ha. So much to absorb.

a couple of the other hospitals abroad feature in my tree to. very good site  :)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 January 10 16:53 GMT (UK) »
You hear of doctors with MB after their names,so I have just googled it and found this

" It stands for Bachelor of Medicine.

This is the basic medical qualification a medical student gains at the end of five years in medical school. It allows the student to enter supervised medical practice as a foundation doctor."

So now we know  ;D

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pethC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 January 10 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Don't think this is unusual...with hospital deaths and cremation.

It more reflects the 'routine' legal requirement to establish the caue of death was not suspicious and that 2 approved doctors (MB=bachelor of Medicine) one without connection to the case medically are required to produce the crem cert to enable the cremation to go ahead and allow release from the hospital and  for further arrangements (by family if available)
 Cremation needs extra safeguards because of the finality of destroying any medical evidence compared with burial.

Chris

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 January 10 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Do you know who F Sheridan was? A nurse who looked after her at the hospital(was she there long?) a friend,a relative,sister in law?

It may just have been that her immediate family were not around to make the arrangements- you say hubby was in the RAF- there you go then  ;D

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mrnolson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 23 January 10 17:25 GMT (UK) »
I've conducted a brief search but no joy so far. Annoyingly no first name was given. But Sheridan is fairly uncommon.

Just gotta know where to look!! Oh well...

She gave birth to her last child 06 June before she died, but she in Germany when that happened. So she couldn't have been in the hospital for more than 3 months.

Kind regards
Elliot

oh and the registrar was the deputy H.M. Jacobs

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 23 January 10 21:44 GMT (UK) »
As said before if you look at the website for Queen Alexandra Hospital there are some contact details there they may be able to give further information
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)