Author Topic: Date this photo please?  (Read 1994 times)

Offline Shonagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Date this photo please?
« on: Saturday 16 January 10 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Can someone help to date this old photo and restore it? 

Thank you very much.

Offline RecycledHippy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Date this photo please?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 January 10 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Quick one from me

Hippy :) :) :) :)
Please scan all photographs at 300-600 dpi.
Please feel free to colour/modify any restores posted by me.
An acknowledgement would be much appreciated.

Lenoir - Antwerp Belgium
Tippell/Tipple Norfolk/Suffolk border

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 January 10 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Lovely photo!

The lady seems to be wearing an outfit that looks like traditional dress...Scotland maybe? But looking at the style of sleeves, the backdrop, the curtain, the flooring and the general style of the pose, I would say early 1860s.

Most of the photo is made up of the cardboard backing...if you did a higher-resolution scan, say 300-6--dpi and crop the surround off it, you'll get a better restore. You may have to reduce the size of the photo to get it under the 500kb limit if you do a 600dpi scan, but you can do that easily by resizing downward. Don't compress, resize.

You'll also have to rename the file...just add a letter or number to it and that will be fine.

Although I see Hippy has already done a nice one :)

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 January 10 16:52 GMT (UK) »
The lady has arthritis...see the size of her knuckles?
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Shonagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to China for the help with dating the photo and the observation about the arthritis!  Sorry for taking some days to say thank you but I have trouble with the site and can't find my posts - don't know what I do wrong but have to scroll through and through to find mine and then see if anyone has replied.

Anyway, thank you very much. 

Shonagh

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Shonagh, you can find your posts by enabling email notifications down at the bottom of the page.

Or you can click on your own profile, and down at the bottom there's an option to show latest posts.

I just noticed a typo in my first reply...it should have said 300-600dpi scan :)

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Shonagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re-posting Is she wearing National Dress?
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 February 10 16:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm re-posting this photo.  Previously someone suggested that the old lady was possibly wearing national dress - maybe Scottish.  I don't have any Scottish connections at all so would like opinions.

Obviously she's dressed in her Sunday best clothes but still very simply.  We have determined that the photo was taken early 1860s.

Does anyone recognise the type of dress and bonnet that she's wearing.  I've searched and searched the internet but costumes/dress over the decades tends to be 'posh frocks' and I can find nothing for people who would have a best set of clothes but never the less were poor and wouldn't have the money for a crinoline!

Any help would be appreciated.

Shonagh

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 February 10 17:39 GMT (UK) »
I just thought that shawl looked a bit tartany...Welsh shawls were similar. Could be English too, it's just typical old lady dress.

The bonnet she is wearing is as far as I know just called a bonnet, which ties under the chin by ribbons called strings. It was a common style for all ladies during the 1850s and by older women well into the 1860s and even beyond.

http://www.cartes.freeuk.com/dec/chelf.jpg
http://www.rogerco.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/2004/glukf.jpg
http://www.rogerco.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/2004/olsof.jpg
http://homepages.tesco.net/~patio/maddy/jone3f.jpg
http://homepages.tesco.net/~patio/maddy/callf.jpg

If you would like more of an analysis than I can give, PM Old Rowley who is very expert at dating clothing...he seems to be online now :)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=22071

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 February 10 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately I can not add anything to China's description as the the item of clothing that could give clues as to the age etc is hidden from view by the large apron and shawl. The only thing to say about it is that it appears to have coat sleeves but with out being able to see any detail it is hard to say more. As for the bonnet, again there is really not much to say with regards to this item of headwear due to  the postion of the pose set by the photographer on his subject there is not much to see of the bonnet.

OR

Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop