Author Topic: Wedlake Court, Newport  (Read 1948 times)

Offline chepstowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Wedlake Court, Newport
« on: Saturday 16 January 10 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know where Wedlakes Court, Newport (Gwent) was?

When my great great grandparents married in February 1865, according to their marriage certificate, the groom, John Murray, lived at Wedlakes Court, Newport.

I have tried googling this, and looking at Old Maps, but so far have been unable to find this place.

I believe John was born in Risca but his immediate ancestry was in Ireland. I know that many of the Irish immigrants tended to stay together in the early days and that they were concentrated in certain areas of Newport. Much of my family history is centered around the dockside and pillgwenlly areas of the city.

If anyone can help with locating this place, I would be very grateful. Thank you.
Wright - Lincolnshire; Daymond - Devon; Murray - Co Cork; East - Hereforshire; Underwood - Blaenafon/Trevethin;

Offline Greygirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wedlake Court, Newport
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 January 10 21:33 GMT (UK) »
If you can find John Murray living at Wedlakes Court in the 1861 census you might get an idea of where it is by looking at the adjacent addresses
Lloyd (Ystumtuen, Llanfihangel y Creuddyn) Powell (Rhondda, Merthyr Tydfil, Llanspyddid) Yearsley (Monmouth, Ruardean) Faust (Gelsenkirchen, Dortmund & Waltersbrück/Bischhausen) Führen (Eschweiler, Duisburg and Kranenburg/Grafwegen)

Offline keithwelton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 10:57 GMT (UK) »
I have been to Newport Central library in John Frost Square and copied a section of an old map
Wedlake Court seems to be just off Mill Parade in Newport
This is right on the River Usk close to the Transporter Bridge

Keith
welton whelton connolly courtmacsherry clonakilty timoleague lislevane

Offline chepstowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 May 10 17:37 BST (UK) »
Keith -  I have just seen this message. Im so sorry I didnt respond sooner - you must think me very rude. I cant think why I didnt get back to this thread.

I do apologise profusely, and very much appreciate the information.

thank you - and again, Im so sorry  :'(
Wright - Lincolnshire; Daymond - Devon; Murray - Co Cork; East - Hereforshire; Underwood - Blaenafon/Trevethin;