Author Topic: Portsmouth Football Club  (Read 5617 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Portsmouth Football Club
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 18 March 10 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Just checked and Portsmouth were not in the League in 1912-14 so that would explain the absence of any team in 1913 for the Joe Hall that I found in my book.  They played in the Southern League during that time.

I'm more confident that he is Tillyfloss's grandfather now  :)

Gadget

PS - just checked and none of the teams that Ronniebear mentioned are in the League for those years, either
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Duck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 18 March 10 15:28 GMT (UK) »
If Joseph was at Preston North End, he didn't make any first team appearances

There was a John Edward Hall born 1885 at Tyne Dock who played in the 1910-1911 and 1911 - 1912 seasons, mainly wearing the No.7 shirt

Simon
Nash, Whittingham - Wolverhampton<br />Nash, Whittingham, Pardoe, Cartwright - Worcs<br />Osbaldeston, Kay, Wyles, - Preston, Lancs<br />Dippnall, Poulton, Burton, Dawes - Manchester/Salford<br />McPoland, Tildesley, Iveson, Fox - Lancashire North Of The Sands
Wild, - Claughton, Lancashire
Kay, - Longridge, Chipping, Ribchester

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 18 March 10 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Simon - that one is  listed separately. I think my one played non-league for Preston as it's recorded for just 1909.

I have a Joseph E Hall (Jack) born circa 1890 but he doesn't fit with what Ronnie has found as he played Right and Left back for:

1909 PNE and Jarrow Croft
1910 Hull City
1911 and 1912 Barnsley
1914 Manchester City
1920 & 1921 Bristol Rovers
1922 Newport County 

Gadget

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Duck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 18 March 10 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Gadget, he must have been a reserve player.  Preston had been playing in the Football League for over 20 years by 1909.  They are one of the founder members
Nash, Whittingham - Wolverhampton<br />Nash, Whittingham, Pardoe, Cartwright - Worcs<br />Osbaldeston, Kay, Wyles, - Preston, Lancs<br />Dippnall, Poulton, Burton, Dawes - Manchester/Salford<br />McPoland, Tildesley, Iveson, Fox - Lancashire North Of The Sands
Wild, - Claughton, Lancashire
Kay, - Longridge, Chipping, Ribchester

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 18 March 10 19:56 GMT (UK) »
I know, Simon, but Portsmouth weren't which was what threw me until I checked.

I think he might have been a painter and decorator  :)

xx

Offline Baz4Pompey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 14:27 BST (UK) »
I am also looking for any record of my Grandfather playing for Portsmouth FC.  His name was Ewart Henry Moores but he was often known as Harry.  It is possible his name is recorded as Moore. I was told only a few weeks ago that he played for Portsmouth.  He was born in Portsmouth in 1898, fought in WW1 and emigrated to Australia in 1928. I suspect he may have had a few games either after the war or possibly (although maybe a bit young) before the war.

My Dad passed away two weeks ago (aged 82 years) after a long illness and was unable to tell us anymore but... 11 hours before his funeral, Pompey did defeat Tottenham to go into the FA cup final... Dad would be pleased!

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Baz

Offline Ronniebear49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Baz
The only two Moores that I can find around that time are.

MOORE ?
An inside-left who was available for the 1917-18 season, but never played a competitive game.
Pompey career:- 2 Friendly games and 2 goals.

MOORE Harold
Born on 05/08/1896 in Worksop and signed for pompey on 2/6/23 from Halesowen. Having scored one goal in one game, he was gone again on 5/8/24,being transfered to Kettering, he died in 1984.
Pompey Career:- 1 league game and 1 league goal.

Hope that this is of some help.

Ronniebear.
CLARK: Wooton-under-edge./ Westbury, Wilts.
GODSELL: Wooton-under-edge.
LEACH: Portsmouth.
JONES: Portsmouth.
WORLEY: Portsmouth.

Offline Baz4Pompey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 29 April 10 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Baz
The only two Moores that I can find around that time are.

MOORE ?
An inside-left who was available for the 1917-18 season, but never played a competitive game.
Pompey career:- 2 Friendly games and 2 goals.

MOORE Harold
Born on 05/08/1896 in Worksop and signed for pompey on 2/6/23 from Halesowen. Having scored one goal in one game, he was gone again on 5/8/24,being transfered to Kettering, he died in 1984.
Pompey Career:- 1 league game and 1 league goal.

Hope that this is of some help.

Ronniebear.

Thank you. The first listed, "Moore ?", may possibly be my grandfather.  I was an inside left as a kid and I vaguely recall my Dad saying "that was Poppa's position".  Maybe I'm clutching at straws.  I will have to find out when he was discharged from the British army to see if it fits the timeline.

Cheers,

Baz