Author Topic: Michael Walsh of Ballinamult  (Read 4231 times)

Offline Ady

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael Walsh of Ballinamult
« on: Sunday 17 January 10 06:24 GMT (UK) »
Visiting Kanchanaburi Ware Cemetery in Thailand, I came upon the grave of Sapper Michael Walsh.  A member of the Royal Engineers he was presumably a captive of the Japanese working on the Burma-Siam Railway.  He died on 9 December 1944 at the age of 26, the same day I was born in Chatham, Kent, in England.  He and I shared the same surname.

I have no reason to think we may be related (although like most Walshes, my family, several generations back, does hail from Ireland (my ancestor appears to have come from Esk, moving to Northumberland in the early 19th Century)).  But I was compelled me to try to find out a little about him, and whether any members of his family survive.

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission record him as the son of James and Johanna Walsh of Ballinamult, Co Tipperary.

I have tried all other avenues I can think of,  and just hoping someone here might have knowledge or ideas.  Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Offline englandphil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Walsh of Ballinamult
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 April 10 10:26 BST (UK) »
Ady, the Army Roll of Honour has him listed as residing in Hertfordshire, I dont know if this helps.

Name: Michael Walsh
Given Initials: M
Death Date: 9 Dec 1944
Number: 2009978
Birth Place: Eire
Residence: Hertfordshire
Branch at Enlistment: Other Corps
Theatre of War: Malaya
Regiment at Death: Royal Engineers
Branch at Death: Other Corps

Offline Ady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Walsh of Ballinamult
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 May 10 14:02 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the nformation - I'll continue to pursue my chase.  Very much appreciated - and greetings from Canberra, Australia while I'm at it!   ;)