Author Topic: 1866 Attempted Murder by James MELVEN - My GG Grandfather?  (Read 8707 times)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1866 Attempted Murder by James MELVEN - My GG Grandfather?
« on: Sunday 17 January 10 23:53 GMT (UK) »
I was just searching the Sydney Morning Herald 12/6/1866 and read a story where James MELVEN was charged at Ryde Court with Attempted Murder of his wife, Anne MELVEN, by cutting her throat during an apparent drunken rage. Also at the scene were their daughter and son-in-law (not named).

On 16/8/1866, the newspaper reports the trial of James MELVIN, for cutting his wife's throat, Anne MELVIN, at Central Criminal Court. It indicated they resided at Gladesville. James was convicted of the lesser charge of Wounding, and due to his good character was sentenced to 6 months gaol.

Do these stories relate to my gg grandparents James and Anne MELVEN, who were living at Bridge Street, Gladesville at this time, and who's daughter and son-in-law, also lived at Gladesville?

I checked the NSW BDM's and there is only one marriage recorded for James MELVEN to a Ann(e), which are my gg grandparents. There are none for the spelling of MELVIN.

I did an Index search at State Archives but his name does not appear there for any court matters. Is there anywhere else I may be able to search where I could find a record of this matter. It may give further information, especially, if it names the daughter and son-in-law, who apparently gave evidence at the trial.

Oh yes, there's nothing like finding  " a few skeletons inthe closet;D

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: 1866 Attempted Murder by James MELVEN - My GG Grandfather?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 January 10 01:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Les,

Return of Prisoners tried at Sydney Criminal Court Aug 1866

Prisoners tried at Central Criminal Court Sydney 13 Aug 1866

MELVIN James was charged with wounding with intent to murder Ann MELVIN  - sentence 6 months hard labour at Maitland Gaol.

Had hoped to find a discharge which may have provided a description but sorry - no luck.

State records appear to hold a lot of material on prisoners. I would expect this contain a lot of information on the man and probably a photo.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/07vr/   

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 January 10 06:11 GMT (UK) »
The account of the trial in the SMH Thursday 16 August 1866 uses the surname MELVIN and says when they found Mrs M with a cut on her throat she had her baby beside her.  This may help you figure out if your family had a baby athat time - go for it, Sherlock LOL

I note also his funeral notice in (I think) 1885 in the SMH.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 January 10 06:23 GMT (UK) »
Is this the baby I wonder?

In 1865  MELVEN,  WILLIAM A. B. F. father JAMES mother  ANN at  RYDE reg. 14817

Sue

ADDING The little baby's death

In 1867  MELVEN,  WILLIAM A. F. ather JAMES mother   ANN at RYDE  reg.    7766
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 January 10 06:31 GMT (UK) »
And this could be the daughter which would make her old enough to be married at the time:

MELVEN Jane C - Christening 1845 - St Andrew's Scots Church, Presbyterian Sydney, New South Wales #V18455670 45B

Father:   James         
Mother:   Anne

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 January 10 06:36 GMT (UK) »
Here's the daughter's marriage:

MELVEN, Jane Cormach m. MANN, Benjamin H 1864 NSW #1219

So that would give you the daughter & son-in-law who were present at the attempted murder.

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 January 10 06:44 GMT (UK) »
Your gg-gparents marriage:

MELVEN, James m. CREIGHTON, Anne 1844 - St Andrew's Scots Church, Presbyterian Sydney, NSW #V18441911 76

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 January 10 06:44 GMT (UK) »
Double up posting deleted.
Sue

ADDING This link to another thread of Les de B's shows the previous surname was CREIGHTON.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,371523.0.html

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 January 10 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for ALL your replies.

Firstly, I should have indicated, I have all the family details (BDM's) for this couple and their family, it was just that I stumbled across the newspaper article which now has me intrigued.

I did miss the bit about the victim's baby being beside her, so that's another bit of circumstantial evidence leaning towards my ancestors eg. their baby William MELVEN b.1865.

Archives criminal records and photo's appear to start after this event i.e. 1870, and my James MELVEN does not appear in the index. But thanks for the Return of Prisoners tried at Central, least I know he did his 6 months at Maitland.

I suppose I can always record this story with my ancestors' notes indicating not confirmed but very circumstanial. I've never heard family folk lore mention anything similar, then again, its probably something that was never talked about, especially by their immediate descendants.

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!