Author Topic: 1841 Northiam Lookup Please - Noakes  (Read 3357 times)

Offline Tom V

• RootsChat Extra
  • Vancouver
    • View Profile
1841 Northiam Lookup Please - Noakes
« on: Wednesday 16 March 05 07:43 GMT (UK) »
Could someone please look in the 1841 census for Mary Noakes 19 or 20 years old born in Northiam about 1821.  If she is not in Northiam, then she may have moved to Brede, Sussex, where she would marry Edwin Playford in 1846. 

Thanks in advance,  ;)

Tom
Sussex - Barnes, Playford, Noakes
Kent- Fuggle
Shropshire/Montgomeryshire - Davies, Edwards
Lancashire - Morgan

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Northiam Lookup Please - Noakes
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 March 05 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom,

In Northiam I have found:

Jane Noakes (20),  a "female servant" living at Copland in the house of a veterinary surgeon and his wife, Moses and Matilda Body (both aged 30).

There is possibly a James Noakes (60).  Place appears blank, surname unclear, cannot read occupation.

Again, not clear if they are Noakes:  William (53) Tailor; Susanna (53); Lucy (14); Frances (8 )

The only definite Noakes I can find in Northiam is Jane.

In Brede I have found:

At what appears to be Cackle Street:

Sabina Noakes (12) - occupation looks like FS (female servant, I assume).  She is in the household of an Agricultural Labourer and his family - surname looks like Polhill.

At Brede Hill:  Robert (40) - can't read occupation; Mary (35); Richard (15); Harriet (35).  There are some other people in the household with different surnames (one of whom is a tailor by the name of Hill).

I decided to look at nearby Udimore:

At Wick House there were:

William Noakes (35), Ag. Lab.; Ann (35); Mary (13); Martha (11); A girl beginning with S (7); Emily (4); Eliza (2); William (1m) and a Henry something - not Noakes - (19).

This Mary is too young to be yours, I suppose?

Best wishes
Deborah

Linberry, Chatfield, Faulkner, West in West Sussex<br />Towell, in Shoreditch and Exeter<br />Spurling from Norfolk<br />Bateson from Norfolk<br />Snell, Lorkin, Norman from Suffolk<br />O'Boyle/Boyle from Donegal<br />Murray, McCann, Gunn from Sutherland<br />Davis, Bute from Woolwich<br /><br />Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline Tom V

• RootsChat Extra
  • Vancouver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 March 05 21:08 GMT (UK) »
 :) Hi Deborah, :)

I cannot thank you enough for the thorough search, but, thank you very much.  I have the ages for Mary Noakes as 29, 39, 50, 69 in the 1851, 61,71 & 81 census respectively, so I am fairly certain of the age that she should be.  I have applied to the GRO for her marriage certificate, so I may have a few new clues such as her father's name when that arrives.  Maybe she was a Mary Jane Noakes and is the servant in Northiam, I don't know.

Would you mind please, :) having a look for her husband, Edwin Playford, who was born in Brede and lived in Brede until at least 1871.  He should have been about 18 and lived near his parents Stephen & Sophie who were at Broadland Row in Brede in 1841.
His age was 27, 38, 49 in the 1851,61 & 71 census, all in Brede

Thanks Muchly!

Tom

Kent- Fuggle
Lancashire - Morgan

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 March 05 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Apologies, Tom.  I have found a lot more of Brede that I had missed, with lots of Noakes's.  Not your Mary, yet, though.  I'll have a look over the weekend and transcribe them all.  I'll continue to look for Mary and for the Playfords.

Deborah

Linberry, Chatfield, Faulkner, West in West Sussex<br />Towell, in Shoreditch and Exeter<br />Spurling from Norfolk<br />Bateson from Norfolk<br />Snell, Lorkin, Norman from Suffolk<br />O'Boyle/Boyle from Donegal<br />Murray, McCann, Gunn from Sutherland<br />Davis, Bute from Woolwich<br /><br />Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 March 05 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Broadlands Row is about 500 yards from where my mother-in-law lives!

More Noakes in Cackle Street:

Richard  45 Carpenter
Mary 40
Thomas 20
Caroline 17
Richard 13
Edward 11
Robert 9
S....(?) 7
Harriet 5
Barbara 3

Noakes in Cock Maidlands:

John 35 Ag. Lab.
Jane 30
Harriet 7
Thomas 5
James 4m

Noakes in Broadlands:

George  25 Ag. Lab.
Eliza 25
Caroline Polhill 8 (visitor)
David 20 Ag. Lab.
Charlotte 20

Thomas Foster(?) 60 (can't read occupation)
Mary Noakes 70
David Noakes 9

Mary Noakes (40)
Charlotte 15
Louisa(?) 13
Priscilla 12
Sarah 10m
Thomas 13 Ag. Lab.
Alfred 10
Henry 8
David 4

Playfords in Broadlands ;D

Stephen 40 Ag. Lab.
Sophia 40
Mary 15
Ann 13

Noakes in Turnpike Road from Brede Green:

David 45 Ag. Lab.
Ann 40
Thomas 12
James 5
Francis 1
N K (2 weeks?)

There are some more Noakes in Udimore, north of the Turnpike Road at Marshalls:

Noakes L...(?) 40 Ag. Lab.
Jane 45
James 15
Jane 15
Elizabeth 10
Simon(?) 15(?)
3 other boys (can't read)

Noakes in the Vicarage in Udimore, south of the Turnpike Road:

John Noakes 40 Ag. Lab.
Sarah 13
John 11
Caroline 9
Spencer 7
Sarah Masters 55

In the Old Workhouse, Udimore, south of the Turnpike Road:

Robert 40 Ag. Lab.
Elizabeth 40
William 20
Sarah 18
Robert 15
Ellen 13
Harriet 5
George 2

Noakes in Sedlescombe:

In Sedlescombe Street:

Edmund Noakes 20 Carpenter
Harriet 20
Harry 5m

Henry 50 Carpenter
Ann 50
Jonathon 20
Eliza 18
Lucy(?) 15
Mary 14
Frances 12
Hester 10
Thomas 8

Swales Green:

George 58 Ag. Lab.
Elizabeth 48
John 5

There are some more Playfords in Sedlescomb if you are interested.  One of these could possibly be an Edwin, but he is only 11.

Sorry, I couldn't find Mary or Edwin.

By the way, I noticed your earlier posting about Barnes.  In West Sussex there is a West Stoke, North Stoke and South Stoke...

Deborah

Offline Tom V

• RootsChat Extra
  • Vancouver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 March 05 04:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank You very much Deborah, I really appreciate all that work.  Someday I hope to travel to Sussex and get photos of the countryside around Brede.  What is Broadlands Row like.  Is it a closely grouped row of homes?

Thanks again,

Tom 
Kent- Fuggle
Lancashire - Morgan

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 March 05 13:11 GMT (UK) »
If I have the right group of cottages in mind - they are closely-grouped, set back from the road and lower than the level of the road.

Deborah

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 March 05 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Having looked at various places in East Sussex, the area was  heaving with Noakes.

I spotted the following "Traders" in Brede in the Post Office Directory 1851:

Noakes John, Farmer
Noakes Richard, Carpenter
Noakes Robert, Farmer

None in Northiam, though.

Deborah

Offline Tom V

• RootsChat Extra
  • Vancouver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 March 05 22:44 GMT (UK) »
 ;D Thanks again, Deborah,  ;D

I just received the marriage certificate of Edwin Playford & Mary Noakes dated 4, July 1846.  They are both listed as residents of Brede (in 1846) and Mary's father is listed as David Noakes a labourer.  I think that you already found her family in 1841 as

Noakes in Turnpike Road from Brede Green:

David 45 Ag. Lab.
Ann 40
Thomas 12
James 5
Francis 1
N K (2 weeks?)

Are they all born in county and is the Not Known of 2 weeks a male or female?

Thanks, ever so much,

Tom
Kent- Fuggle
Lancashire - Morgan