Author Topic: Browning of Ford, Salop  (Read 3324 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Browning of Ford, Salop
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 January 10 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris  :)

Salop does = Shropshire. However, it could be that he was just lodging there just before his marriage. He seems to have got around the country quite a lot because of his job.  Worcester (1851) is the next county so he might have been working in that part of the country.

The other problem is that there are quite a number of the 1861 census pieces missing.

Have you found him in 1841?  I've got some possibles but nothing that really jumps out  :-\

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline chris2705

• RootsChat Member
  • First car through after the rains (South Africa)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 January 10 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi

George's life before his marriage in 1862 has been a bit of a mystery. I only found out a couple of days ago that he had been married before and I have not found him on any previous records. I would have thought that his first marriage would appear on the records but as this is a new line of research all I know about this is from today, where in 1851 he is already a widower at the age of 30. It looks as if he must have married between between 1836 and 1851 but as he appears to have been rather nomadic, it could have been anywhere! I am also curious to see if he had any children from this marriage as it could open up a whole new line.

all the best

Chris
BAKER            Staffordshire, India, Bengal, (1880's)   
BROWNING    Kent      
LAMING            England, Dover      
SHEPPARD         England, Fenton, Stoke on Trent, Coventry, Warwickshire
BOURKE             Ireland (early 1800's) Merthyr, London, India/Burma

Offline chris2705

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 15:12 GMT (UK) »
In the 1841,  I've found a William and Mary Browning living in Sandwich but William is a labourer.

I'll give the details, just in case:

St Peter, Sandwich
HO107/494/16/17/27

Browning
William, 55, labourer
Mary, 50
Ann, 15

All b. Kent

Gadget

Hi Chris

I think you missed my posting - I'd already found them  :D

I think if I were you I'd put up a request on the Kent board for a possible baptism of George in Sandwich circa 1821

There is an OPC for Kent but it doesn't look as if the baptisms are up for St Peter, St Clement or St Mary,  Sandwich:

http://www.kent-opc.org/Parishes/Sandwich%20SPtr.html

Gadget

I am confused now......

I have found a possible 1st marriage for George Browning on 23 Aug 1848 to Mary Mills in East Ashford, Kent as well as a death for a Mary Browning in Q1 1851 in Bridge Kent which could fit. Using Ancestry, the record for Mary then links to an 1851 census record for Kent/Whitstable. On this census record as well as a George (with the right year of birth) and Mary Browning.

-Is it possible for someone to appear on the 1851 census if they died in Q1 1851 (when was the census taken?)
-"George" is shown as a labourer but we know he went on to become an Excise Inspector for the Revenue. Is such a career move feasible?
-also, if you look at the 1851 census there is a lodger, Henry Maxted. George Browning's aunt married Francis Maxted

So in some ways the above seems possible but also the 1851 for Upper Swinford fits so perfectly.
BROWNING    Kent      

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 23:14 GMT (UK) »
1851 Census was 30th March so it's not likely.

Re Customs and Excise - I'm not sure of the qualifications needed then but I would think that all is possible.  I'll do a bit of Googling and report back if I find anything  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 23:18 GMT (UK) »
There's something about them here that might be worth following up:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/rdleaflet.asp?sleafletid=234&j=1

Offline chris2705

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 11 February 10 12:54 GMT (UK) »
I have done a bit more digging into the Browning/Mills marriage and found her family and there is no way that this is the same George Browning so it looks as if the Upper Swinford entry in 1851 is the right one. I have had no luck finding a baptism record for George and now none the wiser regarding his first marriage. All part of the fun!
BROWNING    Kent