Author Topic: Help Please: Richard George NASH (born Bristol 1852) )  (Read 29628 times)

Offline Marengo

• RootsChat Member
  • Mother: The Best Thing Before Sliced Bread
    • View Profile
Re: Help Please: Richard George NASH (born Bristol 1852) )
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 21 January 10 00:24 GMT (UK) »
I've just had a little 'fantail' - a small NZ native bird, (the Maori call 'piwakawaka') fly into the house here. This is not a rare event - these small creatures show a great deal more trust in humans than humans as a whole deserve - and often out in the bush (forest), they will virtually perch on your shoulder, if you sit still enough.
The crux of this is to tell you that Maori traditional belief holds that their intrusion into a dwelling is the harbinger of a death in the family, or at least bad luck. Well, I am rather hoping that it isn't my time to be added to the long list of past Nash's.
And, if it only brings bad luck, I think it got the wrong flamin' house!

Wow! And double Wow!
To say I'm thrilled would be a total understatement. I am just in awe of you guys. And it is indeed a pity that the countless thousands of people who visit this site would only see this masterpiece by chance. (They'd have to serendiptously select 'England', click on a tiny 'Somerset' and even then, still be lucky to chance upon a posting that looks like every other one).
If there's an annual award ceremony, where they hand out 'Rooties', you guys had better make sure you keep the evening free.
It has indeed been an amazing saga. and, you know, I'm actually sad that it's now all over. For the past few days it has been a carousel of excitement, with brilliant stuff being uncovered by the hour. As I say, I am saddened that I now have to step off the merry-go-round, but also elated that the mystery I laid at your feet has been totally unlocked.
And, it all fits so beautifully! I'm pleased that the Bristol birth proved correct. The birthdate (1854) is not as the family had it (in 1852) but this is understandable in that it was exaggerated upwards to accomodate his wife's (Emma Cull's) birthdate of 1854. (It may be of passing interest to South Australians that Emma was the first daughter of a pardoned transportee, Caleb Cull, and born on the Bendigo goldfields at Tinpot Gully).
We now find that James was a Sergeant Major Drill instructor.
This explains to my why Richard, and I think his brothers too, were so seriously into physical pursuits - at a time when most people weren't. (It's no wonder they went bankrupt - they spent too much time playing!)
Richard (my ggf) was a professional athlete (runner), a boxer, a noted cricketer - well into his fifties, a rower, a crack rifle shooter and Australasian handball champion (a game like squash, without a racquet) as well as being a painter, singer and dramatist. (All this is supported by dozens of articles in the 'Southland Times' per 'Papers Past').
The 'drill instructor' background might also explain why the middle-aged James (snr) felt confident in taking on a sixteen year old bride.
Really, there is much more than this, but I don't wish to monopolise time and attention in here.
Obviously, I'm now quite interested in finding out a little more about Richard's grandparents, George and Ann Nash of Edmonton, Middlesex, but I will give you guys a chance to first recover your collective breaths.
I hope I haven't forgotten anything significant - I fear I have. I'll append it below, if it occurs to me.
Many many thanks to All -

Edric Eyre

Sorry - I forgot the bouquet. (And it isn't as big as I ordered).
And apologies for the big blue Quote and the space it occupies - I pushed the wrong tab and don't know how to remove it now it's there.
EYRE :        Sheffield - Yorkshire
COX:          City of Oxford
NASH:         Edmonton - Middlesex
CULL:          Canterbury - Kent
GILLIES:      Paisley - Renfrewshire
O'CONNOR: Limerick, Ireland  ~ 57th Regiment of Foot
                                     (Crimea,India,New Zealand)

The trouble with the world is that it's the stupid who know all the answers.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 21 January 10 10:35 GMT (UK) »
I am totally in awe of what has been found :)
With my limited resourses at present I tried to see what I could find.
Christenings ; NASH, all Saint Andrew, Enfield, London
All with Parents GEORGE/ANN
JAMES 03 October 1824
HENRY 09 July 1826
MARY ANN 25 May 1828
JOHN 08 August 1830
ELIZA 26 January 1834
EMMA 29 September 1839

Henry does not appear on 1841 Census. He could have died or is away working.
And in 1851 Census William born abt 1823/23 turns up as a Pensioner. So was he a Miltary man also.
I cant find the christenings of William or George.

I think Emmas Birth Cert is a must as it will give Anns maiden name and then we may be able to find the Marriage of George and Ann.

This I think is the most probable;
Emma NASH
September 1839
Edmonton
3 87

I am also fascinated by all the Family info you provided Ed. It helps put flesh and bones onto the people we are researching.
I also loved the birds as I am from NZ originally.
Totally of the subject but do you know the Robbie Family of Wanganui? The Matriarch Marion died a couple of years ago.

Trish

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Marengo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 21 January 10 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Well, Trish, so am I.
As I mentioned somewhere, up there, previously, it is a pity that more people who daily visit the greater Forum don't get to see the masterful job the few 'researchers' involved have done.
Maybe, this string isn't as unique as I think - possibly it happens like this all the time and I am just another one of the masses, I allude to, that never get to appreciate the other 'jobs' - simply because we've got no real incentive to trawl through other people's passions.
With (at the time of writing) about 480 visitors to the string it appears that a goodly number have viewed it. However, I temper that with the reality that many of that number could have been me!
I keep returning to the thread and reading through it from top to bottom. The plot segues as in a well-crafted novel.
Now, I really didn't want to precociously ask for more - but, if anyone's interested, then I am of course, all too ready to reboard the carousel.

What I do require now is the information of how I go about getting the copy/copies of the birth certificates, etc that you mention.
Indeed I would be very interested to find out a little more about George and Ann NASH (and other tangential things).

Many Thanks
Ed Eyre

I wasn't really going to ask for more ........ but

Offline Marengo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 22 January 10 19:49 GMT (UK) »
A lead!

NZ BMD:  An Albert Joseph Stewart NASH died in NZ 1933 age 70.
So born abt 1863 (the right year to match the las on the BERAR in 1873)
Can't see a corresponding birth in NZ

NZBMD:
1889 MARRIAGE: Albert Joseph Stuart NASH and Elizabeth HALLASAY

http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/th/read/NEW-ZEALAND/1999-03/0922239267
Charles Lionel NASH married Emily HARRIS 27 Jan 1883 Makaraka, Turanga,
Gisborne NZ. Wits were Albert Joseph Stuart NASH and Rhoda NASH.
Presume the HARRIS family lived Makaraka; Timothy HARRIS was a contractor.
Both Charles NASH and Timothy HARRIS families were in NSW by 1885-6.

NSW Australia BMD:
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/searchHistoricalRecords.htm
DEATH: Charles L NASH - 1903 - District NEWTOWN - Parents: James and Jane.

Cheers
AMBLY

This is just 'house-keeping' - possibly correcting a previous misconception;
The assertion that Charles Lionel NASH was 'in NSW by 1885/6 is probably incorrect.
NZ BMD shows two NZ born children  to Charles and Emily Nash -
Amelia Jane 1883/6412 and Albert Victor 1885/1430.

But, there is  the evidence of a business partnership, between the brothers Albert and Charles Nash in Dannevirke, NZ, in 1892.
There is no dispute that Charles died in NSW (1903) but he probably didn't arrive there with his family until at least 1893.

Ed

Offline Marengo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 13 February 10 21:40 GMT (UK) »
I would like to offer a correction to my 'correction':

On the basis of a recent confirmation *, it would appear that the 'C. Nash' advertised as the business partner of Albert Nash, (and which I thought showed Charles Lionel Nash's continued residence in NZ until at least 1893) is in fact a 'Charles Henry Nash' (died in NZ 1912).
The business partnership appears to have been quite a brief one - about nine months. The cynical might say that the two would've had to have been somehow related, based on the premise that there is often no more a dysfunctional business arrangement than a 'family' one.
So, I do strongly suspect that Charles Henry was a close relative of Albert Nash (and those others embraced in this thread) but have yet to determine the link.

* There is confirmation that the family of Charles and Emily Nash were in NSW by at least 1886, with the birth of their third child (May Nash) in Sydney, 1886.
Charles died in Sydney (1903) and Emily died, age 85 (as a Japanese internee, in 1945).

Ed

Offline hheapet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 16 October 10 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Ed,
Sorry to intrude on your late research but I have Caleb Cull on my tree. He was the third husband of Esther Cooper and my connection is through the daughter of Esther's first husband Benjamin Nightingale calles also Esther. She apparently also went with them to NZ as she married Henry Samson Wadham in 1864 at Wellington St Paul.
Do you have information on this?
You can check the data I have at my web site linked below.

Peter

http://wainwrights.familytreeguide.com/tree_index.php
Staffordshire - Egan - Talbot - Wainwright - Scally - Horsley-Thacker
Ireland - Egan (Mayo) Scally (Roscommon)
Australia - Egan
Cheshire - Taylor-Goodier-Bagnall-Carless-Hancock-Barker-Stubbs-Hough-Marsland-Jones-Barrow-Cowap Horsley-Dixon
Cumberland - Musgrove
Berwick - Swinney-Ford-McLeod
Edinburgh - Swinney
Worcester - Maggs

Offline Roniece

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marengo,
you mention he was known as George Nash only but all the records I can find on him he is Richard George Nash.

Marriage;
Richard George NASH
Emma CULL
1875/1101

These children all have their Father recorded as Richard George Nash on their birth regos plus Mother Emma.
Annie Jane 1878
Caleb John 1880
Emma 1881
Charles 1885#
Samuel Corea 1886#
James 1888#
(# ones you have mentioned)

Trish :)

I'm not sure how old this post is but I have just read thru the posts here and would like to state that Richard George Nash was my Father's Great Grandfather and an artist in Invercargill, New Zealand. We still have several paintings in our family that he did.

I hope this helps in some way for your search.

best wishes
Roniece

Offline Roniece

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ed,
I am new to this website so not sure if I am replying correctly or not... My Uncle, Keith Dawson should be able to help you, I have recently returned from Invercargill over the Christmas period and we were discussing his Great Grandfather, Richard Nash whose painting is hanging in his living room. If you can email me your email I will forward it on to him to see if he can assist you further.

A little exciting to think we might have new relatives to discover!

All the best
Roniece

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roneice,
Welcome to Rootschat.
You maybe able to PM Ed after 1 more post on here.
I have sent on your Email to him as it will be removed soon by the Moderator because of possible scammers.

How exciting that you have Paintings of the Family.

Trish  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)